Browning A5 not ejecting shells

Discussion in 'Browning Auto A-5' started by Boston, Sep 27, 2014.

1. Boston

Boston Copper BB

I've just bought a new A5 hunter 12ga 3.5" chamber. The first time I brought it to the range, tried it out and it wouldn't eject the shells half the time. In addition, it wouldn't auto load the second shell from the magazine either and this happened every time. I have to pull the bolt latch to the back to load the new round to the chamber.

My shells are 12 Gauge Winchester AA Xtra-Lite 2-3/4" #7.5.

Any input is appreciated.
  2. Rudolph31

Rudolph31 .30-06

If you had an Auto-5 instead of a new A5, I'd say your shells are too light or your friction rings are set for heavy loads. I don't know if the inertia guns are adjustable but you can try a heavier load. Your owner's manual might have something to say also.
  3. Boston

Boston Copper BB

Thanks for your reply. I have the new A5, not the original one, hence the 3.5" chamber. I did a search for "friction ring" in the manual PDF file, didn't have any hit. I will try heavier load later.

I'd like to know from other new A5 owners whether this is normal.
  4. Rudolph31

Rudolph31 .30-06

Friction rings are for the Long Recoil guns where the whole barrel moves. But any semi auto that's chambered for 3 1/2" shells is going to have trouble with light loads.
  5. SHOOTER13

SHOOTER13 Guest

Welcome to the Browning Owners Forum Boston !!

Post a few words about yourself in our Introductions subforum when you find the time...enjoy the forum !!