Browning A-5 20 magnum barrel

Discussion in 'Browning Auto A-5' started by Setters4life, Jun 7, 2017.

1. Setters4life

Setters4life .270 WIN

I know the ejector is different (spring loaded,) but does anyone know if a "magnum" barrel can be used on a standard 20 ga. frame provided only 2 3/4" shells are utilized?

I suspect I know the answer (only because the ejector setup is different) but would appreciate anyone knowledgeable chiming in with an answer.

Thanks
  2. Rudolph31

Rudolph31 .30-06

Good question. I don't think the ejector is the problem -- you can shoot 2 3/4" shells in a magnum. I think there may be differences in the barrel extension and the position of the barrel ring. You might want to compare the barrels before you try it. Then report back!
    Setters4life likes this.
  3. Setters4life

Setters4life .270 WIN

The barrel ring is 1/2" further away (towards the muzzle) to accommodate the additional ring. Found an old manual that says you CANNOT use it. 3" barrels on magnum receivers, 2 3/4" barrels on regular and Light receivers. They are not interchangeable.
  4. Rudolph31

Rudolph31 .30-06

Didn't think so, but I didn't know where the differences were. I've always wondered if a 20 gauge barrel will work on a 16 receiver and vice versa. The 20 uses the 16's frame, and the barrels do fit. But I'm not going to try shooting them that way.
    SHOOTER13 likes this.