Broken Citori butt stock.

Discussion in 'Browning Citori Shotgun' started by Bill Idaho, Jan 20, 2020.

1. Bill Idaho

Bill Idaho .270 WIN

I usually hang in the A5 section ,but today I saw something that Citori people might want to hear about.

While I was shooting at my weekly (weakly?) Sporting Clays today, one of the guys on our squad showed up with a brand new Citori he just got at the local Sportsman's Whorehouse. (I don't know what variant of Citori.)

Admittedly I know virtually nothing about those over-n-under contraptions- I'll stick with my A5s thank-you-very-much-for-asking. Anyway, we were about halfway through the course and as he shut the gun- the butt stock snapped off right at the grip!! He could not believe what had just happened. (Neither could the rest of us!) We were all standing right there, and could plainly see he just closed the gun as everyone else has done a bazillion times with other Citoris. He didn't slam it shut, he didn't bang it against anything, he merely closed the action. It had to be some type of defect in the grain somehow hidden from view. In all my years, I have never seen anything like that.

It is going back to the store tomorrow. I am guessing Browning will make it right? The shame is it was a beautiful piece of wood. He is concerned now the replacement won't match the forearm. Certainly Browning will match the wood-one would think?
  2. Bill Idaho

Bill Idaho .270 WIN

Update:
    The guy took his Citori back to where he bought it. Sportsman's Whorehouse said expect it to be gone no less than two months.
    We were all standing around in the clubhouse yesterday talking with the owner about it, and everyone-including the owner- was joking and laughing about it. Another guy in our group that had bought a new Citori about two months earlier looked down at his and discovered a couple of hairline cracks in his Citori butt stock!!!!!! ( He soon lost his smile.) Those cracks were on the right side, up along where the wood meets the receiver. It's going back today.
  3. gnappi

gnappi .22LR

Gads, I feel his pain even though it's never happened to me. Back in the day, friends had the salt cured stock problem, and AFAIK Browning made good on them, and I'm sure Browning will replace the stock without issues.
  4. Rudolph31

Rudolph31 .30-06

Browning is still making good on them. A friend of mine is a gunsmith at Browning’s Arnold facility and all he does daily is repair salt damaged Superposeds.
  5. Bill Idaho

Bill Idaho .270 WIN

I talked to both of the guys that had problems, one heard back from Browning (I would suppose). He was simply told they received it, the other guy guy hasn't heard a word.