Bought a old A5 16-have a couple questions

Discussion in 'Browning Auto A-5' started by whisperbow, Jan 9, 2016.

1. whisperbow

whisperbow Copper BB

Pardon me for starting with my A5 story. I am 72 and an old farm boy who has hunted since I was 10. In all those years I have owned most popular shotguns except an A5 and Winchester 21. Should have bought a 21 years ago but with A5's I always thought they were a pleasing gun to pick up but when I pulled the trigger the recoiling barrel turned me off. However, a couple years ago I borrowed my friend's Sweet 16 for my annual Kansas Pheasant and got my limit both days with only 2 misses. That did it so I decided to keep my eyes out for an A5 16 and here is the part of the story that will make you sick. A church buddy told me he wanted to buy a new 870 and had 2 guns for sale so I told him I was interested. One was a Mossberg pump and the second was a mint A5 16 made in 1927. I asked him what he wanted for them and he said "how about $125 for both". I immediately told him that was not enough so I said I would give him $200 and we settled at $170. Story gets better-my brother is an auctioneer and he sold the Mossberg for $240. I took the gun to Art's and had it modified to 2 3/4 and bored to Modified and now my questions:
    1. If I wanted a shorter barrel I assume I would have to buy that vintage of barrel and have it modified or will a sweet 16 barrel work in this gun? I remember Art saying something like it depends and I didn't pursue the details with him and maybe I misunderstood his answer.
    2. I am not in love with the safety and I assume the proper use is to keep your finger in the guard then shove forward to release and hope you don't rebound and fire too early?
    OOps! Just noticed I posted a similar story in 2013. Sorry, that what happens when you get old.
    Last edited: Jan 10, 2016
  2. SHOOTER13

SHOOTER13 Guest

Welcome to the Browning Owners Forum !!

Please introduce yourself to our community via the New Member Welcome Area...

Enjoy the forum.
  3. SHOOTER13

SHOOTER13 Guest

As far as your questions...I'll leave them to the A5 experts.
  4. Rudolph31

Rudolph31 .30-06

Since your gun was modified to shoot 2 3/4" shells a modern Sweet Sixteen barrel should work. But in 1927 the barrels were serial numbered to the gun and I believe that means they were hand fit. So it's possible that even another 1927 barrel might give you trouble. I have a pre First War Auto-5 in my collection that has a 1929 barrel, so the chances are good that you'll be OK. If in doubt -- call Art.

As for your safety, it's similar to those on the M1 and M14 rifles. I hear a lot of complaints about them from shotgun shooters, but have never heard a negative remark from the riflemen.
  5. whisperbow

whisperbow Copper BB

Thanks for the reply Rudolph31. Didn't know about the hand-fit barrels-good info.
  6. Jomax

Jomax Copper BB

I can't guarantee that any barrel will fit your gun, but over the years I have purchased several used bbl.s for all my A5's and every one worked without modification. Even a Japanese 12 mag. with choke tubes for my waterfowl/turkey gun. I figure if it doesn't work, I'll have it altered or dump it on eBay. As for the front safety, I lost a match with my race gun because of it before I bought a cross bolt/beam trigger group on eBay and swapped it out. This was on a 1938/39 standard 12. That front safety had to be a good thing because the "Master" designed it, but I didn't like it just because it was different. All hail JMB! I am new to this forum, but am an avid Browning fan, thanks for having me, jomax
  7. SHOOTER13

SHOOTER13 Guest

Welcome to the Browning Owners Forum Jomax !!

Please introduce yourself to our community via the New Member Welcome Area...

Enjoy the forum .
  8. Rudolph31

Rudolph31 .30-06

Actually, JMB didn't design the front safety. The prototype safety and the first year's production had the safety inside the trigger guard. FN modified it in 1904.
    SHOOTER13 likes this.