1. What do yall use? I make Ed's RED and am completely satisfied with it. I only clean the copper out of my rifles after hunting season so I have all summer to get a good layer placed back before next season. It takes my rifles about 2-3 shots before the groups "settle" back into a good group after removing the copper, or should I say guilding metal.
  2. SHOOTER13

SHOOTER13 Guest

Right now...Breakfree CLP.
  3. breakfree is what I used to use. its good as a rust perventave but sux when it comes to cleaning. Try this, get a small bottle of eds red and try it after you clean with CLP. Youll be amazed at the carbon youll get out. I beleive you can buy it but its so cheap to make it. Its all available at wally world, paint and auto dept.

1 part Dexron II, IIe or III Automatic Transmission Fluid - GM Spec D20265 or later
    1 part K1 Kerosene
    1 part Aliphatic Mineral Spirits federal spec TT-T-2981F (CAS# 64741-49-9) or Stodard Solvent/Varsol (CAS#8052-41-1), a.k.a "oderless mineral spirits"
    1 part Acetone (CAS#67-64-1)
  4. SHOOTER13

SHOOTER13 Guest

OH...I've tried Ed's before...just haven't been to a gun show to pick more up.

Thanks for the formula...
  5. MZ5

MZ5 .270 WIN

I prefer either the KG Products line (also sold under the Browning label) or Boretech's for good, thorough cleanings. I have and probably will continue to use Frog Lube for quick clean-up, at least until my tub is gone.
  6. Planetcat

Planetcat .410

I hear Ed's is great. Would like to try it if I run across it at a gun store. My cleaner du jour is Shooter's Choice. I've been really happy with it on rifles, handguns, and shotguns. Does a nice job on powder and copper residue.
  7. MZ5

MZ5 .270 WIN

Ed's Red isn't a commercial product name, though Brownells has mixed it up and sold it at least sometimes. It's just a home-brew mix that was intended as a super-inexpensive (per ounce, as compared to commercially-available 'gun' products) alternative to stuff like Hoppe's #9, which is only slightly better than useless as a cleaner.
    Planetcat likes this.
  8. Rob poston

Rob poston .270 WIN

BC foaming Gun Scrubber. I do use Hoppe's #9, but use it more as a lubricant than a cleaner (to run a brush and patch through). I almost always clean my bore within 1/2 an hour after use. If I cannot clean within this time, I whip out the Gun Scrubber.
    SHOOTER13 likes this.