BLR questions

Discussion in 'Browning BLR Rifle' started by a_finelli, Dec 31, 2016.

1. a_finelli

a_finelli Copper BB

I'm getting ready to pull the trigger on a BLR soon and had a few questions. I'm thinking about the lightweight pistol grip stainless steel in 3006.

Is there any advantage to buying the '81 without the pistol grip ?

I use a 3-9x40 scope where I hunt and id like to be able to put on quick detach rings so I can use the iron sights, does anyone do this and what do you use (I'm thinking of getting a leupold vx2 scope)?

I've read the the trigger is heavy, it's that an issue orb has anyone v done a trigger job to lighten it up?

Finally, if anyone can offer any words of advice and or experiences on this rifle I'd appreciate it. Thanks for your time, Anthony

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk
  2. SHOOTER13

SHOOTER13 Guest

Welcome...!!
    Last edited by a moderator: Jan 2, 2017
    a_finelli likes this.
  3. a_finelli

a_finelli Copper BB

Thanks for the help, smh

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk
  4. Blakers

Blakers .22LR

I too have a BLR that I purchased last year, but due to shoulder surgery, only began shooting it this past fall. Mine is a BLR-81 with a steel receiver. I'm happy with it and learning as I go. Had some issues with Weaver scope mounts loosening up. My rifle doesn't seem to fit all the specifications of what a 1984 BLR-81 should be. Slight differences here and there from what I have read, so I don't know if they are not all exactly the same, or if the information out there is just not all consistent.
  5. MZ5

MZ5 .270 WIN

Pistol grip vs straight grip: Buy the one that is most comfortable to you. No advantage to the straight grip.

Some of the BLR triggers are quite poor. Some are actually quite good apart from heavy pull weight. Try the one you want to buy if at all possible. If not, search the forum for some BLR 'smith names. I can't bring the one guy's to mind just now, but the question is fairly commonly asked.
    Blakers likes this.
  6. BrShooter

BrShooter .410

I am not sure right now, I am not looking at my BLR but I believe that the iron sights on my gun set so low that once I put on the scope mounts, the mounts them selves block the iron sights.
  7. Blakers

Blakers .22LR

The Weaver mounts on mine do.
  8. MZ5

MZ5 .270 WIN

Yes, any mounts at all would block the irons. Even the see-through Weavers I have for an old 30-30 would be hard-pressed to give me a full look at the irons. They might, but it'd only be just barely.
  9. NELSONLNI

NELSONLNI Copper BB

I got a 223 pistol grip, blued BLR in 2015. Every thing was fine for the first 100 rounds or so. Now it fails to fire more than 50% of the time. Primer indent is very light.
    Is it possible there is a simple fix. I get a real bad taste when a gun this new fails to fire, and everything I read says do not try to fix it myself. What is the warranty on the
    Browning rifles?
    Thank You anyone for your help.
    oh yeah-is this the correct format for a new question?
    NELSONLNI
  10. BrShooter

BrShooter .410

Hi Nelsonlni, you should probably start a new thread for this issue.
    SHOOTER13 likes this.