BLR origin?

Discussion in 'Browning BLR Rifle' started by Bill Curran, Mar 25, 2016.

1. Bill Curran

Bill Curran Copper BB

I have a steel-receivered BLR, 243, checkered straight stock and am wondering where it was made. Along with the standard Browning stampings, "Montreal" is written on the barrel. There is no mention of Japan or Miroku. Would this have been an early rifle made in Belgium? I'm not up on this at all and some one asked me. Thanks for any help I get.
    Last edited: Mar 25, 2016
  2. SHOOTER13

SHOOTER13 Guest

Welcome to the Browning Owners Forum Bill !!

Please introduce yourself to our community via the New Member Welcome Area...

Enjoy the forum.
  3. SHOOTER13

SHOOTER13 Guest

Maybe a picture of all the inscriptions and a serial number would help us help you...
  4. Setters4life

Setters4life .270 WIN

5. Idahoan

Idahoan Copper BB

If serial number ends in K69, K70, K71, or K72 it was manufactured at FN Belgium. I believe some of the K73 models as well. In 1973 Manufacturing moved to Miroku in Japan. I believe the K## numbering format was replaced in 1976 with a two letter, followed by a model type. Both numbering systems are preceded by the actual serial number.
  6. Hairtrigger

Hairtrigger .270 WIN

Every BLR I have seen is labeled "made in Belgium" or "made in Japan"
  7. Idahoan

Idahoan Copper BB

Hair, there were a few BLRs made in 1966 at the TRW facility in Ohio. I think something like two dozen got out in the public. Not all went through their final checks, so the recommendation out there is not to fire them. They are all considered prototypes.