BLR Lightweight Stainless

Discussion in 'Browning BLR Rifle' started by Deer Chaser, Aug 25, 2016.

1. Deer Chaser

Deer Chaser Copper BB

Howdy!

I am a proud owner of a new BLR, she is a 308 and have a few questions to the group!

It looks like there are burr left from machining, is that, somewhat normal? Should I attempt to remove them or let them be? Attached 2 pics pictures one with closed action one with open action.

I hunt in Northern Ontario, mainly deer, mostly bush but some open areas up to 300yds, hence I would like to set this one up with a scope. I did read previous threads but my selections are somewhat different. Please do weigh in! Your feedback on both issues is much appreciated it!

Scope options (sorted by lower price first)
    1 Leupold Ultimate Slam - Muzzleloader Scopes 2-7x33mm Silver Option
    2 Zeiss Terra 3X Riflescopes 2-7 x 32mm Z-Plex
    3 Vortex Strike EagleĀ® 30mm AR Riflescope 1-6 30mm

Happy Hunting! IMG_3388.jpg IMG_3380.jpg IMG_3375.jpg
  2. SHOOTER13

SHOOTER13 Guest

Welcome to the Browning Owners Forum Deer Chaser !!

Please introduce yourself to our community via the New Member Welcome Area...a mandatory step for membership here.

Enjoy the forum.
  3. MZ5

MZ5 .270 WIN

Nice-looking rifle!
    Mine's blue, and it's tough for me to directly compare, but it does sort of look like those bits may be superfluous, or 'leftover?' If you can determine that this is the case, I don't see why you couldn't remove them. I also suspect they'll cause you no harm, unless you're seeing failures to feed(?).
  4. Deer Chaser

Deer Chaser Copper BB

it does look like "leftover", no harm but they do leave marks on the shell casing , have not had any failures, yet.
  5. BrShooter

BrShooter .410

So did you remove them?
  6. Deer Chaser

Deer Chaser Copper BB

I did not, going to bring it in to get a second opinion.
  7. MZ5

MZ5 .270 WIN

That seems unlikely, spazzy, since the BLR uses a spring-loaded plunger-style ejector in the bolt face.
    Deer Chaser likes this.
  8. Deer Chaser

Deer Chaser Copper BB

So Spazzy, every BLR should have them?
  9. Deer Chaser

Deer Chaser Copper BB

Wow, would be great if we could get consensus from other owners. Thanks for your input!

I will try to take pics of the shell casing with markings, perhaps we could compare...
  10. MZ5

MZ5 .270 WIN

It would be nice to have additional information about what that 'smith was trying to say. Here's a quick test any BLR owner can perform (I have an aluminum-frame Lightning BLR; relatively new):

Put an empty cartridge case into the chamber and close the bolt/lever. Next, slowly open the lever to draw the bolt back. You'll find that the cartridge case is smartly ejected the moment the mouth clears the opening in the receiver. If you move the lever/bolt super-slowly, the extractor may just drop the case on top of the magazine. This is just like every push-feed, plunger-ejector rifle out there.

If those bits of metal have anything to do with ejection, it would seem as though it has to be some sort of supplemental or auxiliary function(?).
  11. Deer Chaser

Deer Chaser Copper BB

the only time those metal bits are in contact with the cartridge, is when the lever is full opened. I am not seeing how this can be part of the ejector, as MZ5 mentioned, the ejection happens on the business end closer to the barrel. Unless its helps with "shooting" the empty casing to the side, before feeding the next bullet...
  12. cavmedic

cavmedic Guest

I'll stick to commenting on your scopes.

Those seem like good options. I would go with the best glass you can afford. I have a Zeiss on mine and I can see about 10 minutes before the sun comes up and ten minutes after the sun goes down compared to most other scopes, even the VX3's. That's the most important aspect of my scope. It's what gets me meat when others go home empty.

I would go Zeiss first then the leupold. That strike eagle is nice but set up for 223/5.56 on the reticle.

You have a beautiful rifle and it merits a beautiful scope.

I myself have the BLR SS takedown in .308 with a Zeiss conquest 3-9x40 with rapid z reticle. My barrel is cryod and I have a Neil Jones trigger job (3.5lbs)