BLR ammo

Discussion in 'Browning BLR Rifle' started by Dio, Feb 6, 2016.

1. Dio

Dio .22LR

I purchased BLR 30-06. What brand and grain ammo shoots well with this rifle? I was thinking Hornaday GMX 180 grain.
    Last edited: Feb 7, 2016
  2. SHOOTER13

SHOOTER13 Guest

The .30-06 Springfield cartridge ( or "thirty-aught-six" to those who love her ) was designed when shots of 1,000 yards were expected...and she has fulfilled that role admirably since 1906.

What makes her great is the variety of bullet weights available to work with...everything from 110 grain to 220 grain and beyond...and half the fun is finding out which one shoots well from your particular rifle and hits POA/POI...

So, while I could throw a few different loads out that shoot well from my M1 Garand or Remington 7600...neither of them shoots the same bullet weight or same manufacturer of the weight to the same point of aim / point of impact.

You must decide what works best in your new BLR ...and that's half the fun of a new rifle.
    Dio likes this.
  3. Dio

Dio .22LR

Thank you for the information, Shooter. I thought the BLR liked certain ammo, but if I understand you it's about my individual gun and that requires extensive trials. Can't wait to find out what works best with my rifle. I will need to continue my search for a shooting range and/ or legal hunting areas in my area. The closest gun range has a year wait list and others are over an hour away.
    SHOOTER13 likes this.
  4. SHOOTER13

SHOOTER13 Guest

That is correct...every firearm ( and therefore barrel ) is different....then you throw in the shooter when the rifle isn't bench rested...and it's a whole 'nuther world.

I keep a range notebook with each of my firearms...just a little notation as to manufacturer, bullet weight...distance, group size...range or hunt weather conditions...helps narrow down what works.

Good luck with your search and keep us in the loop as to what works in your new rifle...and don't forget to include pictures !!
    Dio likes this.