BLR 81 - Sling Swivel Installation

Discussion in 'Browning BLR Rifle' started by talkinghorse, Dec 16, 2013.

1. talkinghorse

talkinghorse .22LR

Recently purchased a BLR 81 in 7-mag. The 81 doesn't come from the factory with sling swivels. Looks like the front one is easy to install, but the rear will require drilling of the stock to insert the stud. Has anyone done this? Any advice?
  2. Rahn H

Rahn H .22LR

I'm half way through it. I haven't been able to budge the screw on the fore end.

As for the wood drilling: I would recommend getting the hole correct. Then maybe use a bit equal to the outer thread dimension and just touch the hole slightly maybe 1/16"deep.

I didn't and the thread pulled a chunk of the wood and urethane up. Just beyond the base of the screw of course.

Don't ever try to disassemble your bolt & lever.
  3. martin610

martin610 .22LR

I just installed mine. There are purpose built step drills for this. All told, I don't think its worth it for DIYer. If you're local gun shop can do it I would farm it out.

Putting the stud in the fore end is not too bad if you are careful. Measure it up, from different directions. Put blue painters tape in the spot to reduce chipping out the finish. The finish on a Browning is very thick.

You need to have a secure vise. Pad the vise jaws with a towel, also use thin wood as a shim to protect the rifle. This is crucial! And don't get crazy with locking down the jaws. You want the stock secure, not dented.

One trick, buy an extra set of swivel studs. Cut the threads off one stud. Use the remaining 'head' of the stud to place your drill mark. Move it around the stock. Eyeball it from different angles. Say a prayer and drill.

The stud on the rear of the stock is the real challenge. It should be 2 1/2 to 3 1/2 inches from the toe. I put mine closer to the 2 1/2 as I sometimes use a cheekpiece.

Since this part of the stock is all curves its very hard to place the drill bit. People slip and mar the stock all the time. Its also very easy to get the hole off center. The shiny stock makes it hard to see.

One trick. Get a fence post level. This is a right angle bracket with levels. Drill a nice straight hole at the 90 degree angle. Put blue tape in the stock. Put the fence post level on the stock and trim it up to get the hole at the 'peak' of the wood, where it should be. Mark with a pencil.

Important: Get that stud head you made and double check your placement. Eyeball it from different angles. It should look 'right'.

Say two prayers and drill.

Have I convinced you to take it to the LGS yet :)