Best way to figure out optimal stock length?

Discussion in 'Browning Auto A-5' started by In The Ten Ring, Sep 29, 2015.

1. In The Ten Ring

In The Ten Ring .270 WIN

I love my A5's but two of them seem a bit short in the stock area. I know there is a test of sorts to figure out what is the best length for a fellow......any one here know about that?
  2. Coonrod

Coonrod .22LR

I am not familiar with the test, but I always have the same problem with all my shotguns. Best (cheapest) way that I've solved the problem is to add a slip on pad to extend the length. I can easily remove the pad if I want to sell the gun, etc. I personally use the Butler Creek pads. They are less expensive and look better on the gun. The small size fits the A5 very well.
  3. Setters4life

Setters4life .270 WIN

Most "uncut" factory A5 stocks should be 14 1/4" for LOP.

A simple way is to lay the buttstock in the crook of your arm at a bent elbow, and see where your finger lines up in relation to the trigger. It should be just long enough to get the finger tip to curl around the trigger.

I also like to ensure that when I bring the gun up to my face, that my thumb isn't so close to my nose that recoil drives the thumb into my nose!!
    SHOOTER13 likes this.
  4. In The Ten Ring

In The Ten Ring .270 WIN

Thanks. I will try that trick.
  5. SHOOTER13

SHOOTER13 Guest

Let us know how you make out and what worked....
  6. In The Ten Ring

In The Ten Ring .270 WIN

I tried the "trick" suggested above and my 20 gauge fits into my elbow and my trigger finger just fits onto the trigger.

I will try and order a stock pad as soon as I can.
  7. azarby

azarby Copper BB

Boyd's gunstocks has a method documented on their web site. It works for rifles, not sure if it's meant for scatter guns.
  8. In The Ten Ring

In The Ten Ring .270 WIN

Just ordered two slip on stock pads, Butler Creek, small size. We'll see how these work.

Getting excited about the upcoming hunt! It will be nice to hunt again with an Auto 5.
  9. Coonrod

Coonrod .22LR

Great. A tip for slipping on the pads..... apply just a small amount of oil to the inside edge of the pads (it doesn't take much) to make them easier to slip on. They are pretty snug, and it is possible to tear them. I think you will be pleased with the result they give.
    Setters4life likes this.