Belgium BAR .270 Win. Jamming

Discussion in 'Browning BAR Rifle' started by MyMomThinksI'mNutz, Apr 1, 2016.

1. MyMomThinksI'mNutz

MyMomThinksI'mNutz Copper BB

Hello everyone, I have been growing increasingly frustrated with my father’s Browning BAR. It's been reliable as the due date for the tax-man, but now for some reason not so much. The only time it ever had problems is when it was extremely cold out.

I cleaned it entirely and installed some new parts and now have been having problems with it cycling properly.
    I have tried a bunch of changes in order to solve the issue, and have created YouTube videos to demonstrate the problem.
    They are a little theatrical, but my underlying goal is to solve this problem.

https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PL1qv_7RcioO0FGZx2TD1weeJ9WbTWlYDe

As I continue to try different things in order to get it back to functioning condition, I am now curious if my underlying problem could be a magazine spring?

Has anyone had jamming problems caused by a faulty magazine spring?

Any info would be hugely appreciated.
  2. SHOOTER13

SHOOTER13 Guest

Welcome to the Browning Owners Forum !!

Please introduce yourself to our community via the New Member Welcome Area...

Enjoy the forum.
  3. SHOOTER13

SHOOTER13 Guest

As to your question....I will defer to the membership experts.
  4. M1Garandfather

M1Garandfather Copper BB

That's a beautiful old BAR you have there , certainly worth looking after.. I'm no expert , but I have a few thoughts for you I'd like to share.. I watched your video's and yes they are entertaining - but , I noticed how you treated the magazine , you took it out of the rifle and tossed it on the floor..Now it's just my opinion , but I'm willing to go out on a limb and say the feed lips on your mag are damaged from rough handling.. The magazine should the first part of any jamming problem to investigate (after a proper cleaning of the gas system)..In your video the cartridge almost but not quite comes out of the mag , that's what tipped me off , if the feed lips are bent , it will prevent the cartridge from being stripped out of the mag easily...Get yourself a replacement magazine and try shooting the rifle again , I would not be surprised that would cure the jamming issue..By the way , I would never shoot a single round out of a vintage BAR without the recoil buffer in place , it's there for a reason , put it back in (and the new recoil spring) and leave it there...That original Belgium BAR deserves to be looked after , treat it with respect and you can pass it on down to your son... Just my opinion , all the best...
    SHOOTER13 likes this.
  5. SHOOTER13

SHOOTER13 Guest

Welcome to the Browning Owners Forum M1 Grandfather!!

Please introduce yourself to our community via the New Member Welcome Area...

Enjoy the forum.