BBR in 6.5x55 - twist rate

Discussion in 'Discontinued Browning Models' started by kumpe, Jul 21, 2017.

1. kumpe

kumpe .410

Does anyone know the twist rate for a BBR in 6.5x55? If not, is it likely to be the same as an modern A-Bolt in the same calibre?
  2. SHOOTER13

SHOOTER13 Guest

3. kumpe

kumpe .410

Thanks @S13, question is if they used the ideal twist rate or not... :) I know that a lot of older ones from other manufacturers have 1 in 8-9". Can't find any info on the BBR though.
  4. SHOOTER13

SHOOTER13 Guest

Copy that... 1:8 is my guess.

Have you tried...?!

Browning Arms Company
    Customer Service
    +1 800-333-3288
  5. Jeff Reynolds

Jeff Reynolds Copper BB

Btw, I don't believe browning ever made the bbr in 6.5x55.
  6. kumpe

kumpe .410

You might be right, I wouldn't know. Was in the market for a BBR when I started this thread and a guy nearby claimed he had one for sale in 6.5x55. Went to see it and turns out it was an early model A-Bolt. His license papers said it was a BBR since the authorities got it wrong way back in the day so he just assumed that it actually was a BBR. It was nice, but not what I wanted so no deal. They are quite scarce here in Sweden, the BBRs. Maybe I'll find one some day...
  7. SHOOTER13

SHOOTER13 Guest

Geez...that's some mistake.

Still set on a 6.5x55 kumpe...!?
  8. kumpe

kumpe .410

Apparently not if Jeff is correct. :)
    Not necessarily a 6.5x55 but still looking for a BBR in some caliber in that general range of power to use as a base for a custom build. 6.5x55, 308w, 30-06, something like that. Plan is to rechamber or switch barrel to something more fun, like 6.5x55AI, 7mm-08, 6.5-06 A-Square. Just because it's fun to be different. :)
    Hence the question regarding twist rate, was trying to figure out if the rifle I was going to look at had a twist rate that could be suitable for rechambering to 6.5x55AI.
    I have actually only seen one BBR for sale here in the last year or so of looking, but it was in .338WM which is a bit too much for my needs. But I'll keep looking...
  9. Jeff Reynolds

Jeff Reynolds Copper BB

The closest thing they made to the swede, ballistically, was the .270 win in a long action or the 7mm-08 in a short action. They did make the BBR in a .308 win as well but I have never actually seen one of those. The long action models are much more common to find. I have a 7mm-08 for sale now on gunbroker but you're out of the U.S. Good luck in your search. Jeff
    kumpe likes this.