BAR Safari vs. LongTrac/ShortTrac

Discussion in 'Browning BAR Rifle' started by MNTupp, Dec 11, 2013.

1. MNTupp

MNTupp Copper BB

I am new to the forum, and a proud owner of an A-Bolt 280 Rem and an X-Bolt 300 WSM. I love browning products! I am now considering purchasing a BAR, but have some questions.

I have ben online trying to find feedback about the new LongTrac/ShortTrac models. I am considering a 308 Win, 30-06, 300 WSM, or a 300 Win Mag. I have seen some reviews indicating possible accuracy and feeding problems with the new "Trac" models. I have seen some reviews that the WSM cartridges don't load well in them.

I like the looks of both versions, but think I am partial to the Safari. I just wish it wasn't so shiny. Anyway, I'm looking for thoughts or experiences with these models and calibers. Any good or bad experiences. Any wisdom as to which calibers seem to work better in the BAR.

Thanks a lot for any of your help!!!
  2. Billythekid

Billythekid Administrator Staff Member Administrator

Hey welcome to the browning owners community!! I'm a big fan of the safari model but don't own one currently. Hopefully some of the other members with experience using the BAR can chime in. All the best.

BTK
  3. SHOOTER13

SHOOTER13 Guest

Welcome to the Browning Owners Forum MNTupp !!
  4. s3silver

s3silver Copper BB

I have a 1992 bar in 7mm rem mag that feeds flawlessly. It's the basic model. I have many friends that owns bars. Older ones owned by them: 30-06, 7mm rem mag, & another 7rem mag w/ boss. Al theirs will shoot sub moa at 100yds all day. Mine is more like 1.5-2" @ 100 yrds. All with shelf ammo. I'm currently working work up some loads for mine. Hopefully I can get it to shoot sub moa too, if not then time for a new rifle.

My friend bought a newer model last year in .243. It feeds and shoots excellent with factory ammo.

Hope this little bit of info helps. Good luck.
  5. s3silver

s3silver Copper BB

By the way...how do you like your 280?
  6. MNTupp

MNTupp Copper BB

I love my 280! I have had it since I was a teenager. It was my first big game rifle. My dad told me to find the rifle I wanted as a gift for helping him build a garage. Being a typical teenager, I didn't want to fit in with all the people who had 270's and 30-06's, I had to be different! I read one article about the 280, and I can't remember the author, but the article touted the versatility of the 280, and I was sold. I considered it as a 270-3006 hybrid. Despite being a gullible, individualistic teenager, I got lucky and ended up with a great cartridge! It's accurate, harder hitting than a 270, flatter shooting than a 30-06, and has mild recoil. I am definitely one of those who think the 280 doesn't get enough love. I am working on getting into reloading, which I think will unlock even more potential out of the 280. But, if you are thinking of getting a 280 and are a little unsure about it, I wouldn't hesitate one second. I would buy another one in a heart beat! I did end up getting a BAR Safari 30-06, so now I have both a 280 and 30-06. So now just the 270 is missing, but I doubt I will end up with one of those. Never been a huge fan for whatever reason. Haven't shot the BAR yet. I will have to wait til spring or summer, which drives me crazy!
  7. ddennie

ddennie .22LR

I currently own three BARS, shortrac hog stalker 308 , 308 shortrac stalker and white gold medallion 30.06. I have Never had a problem of any kind with any one of them.