BAR question- Stripped mounting holes from the factory

Discussion in 'Browning BAR Rifle' started by coltchester45, Mar 1, 2015.

1. I am new here- long time gun collector but am looking for some outside point of views. I have a brand BAR Safari in 30/06. ( 1 of 7 Brownings in my vault) I went to mount a new set of browning 2 piece base and rings and the rear two holes on the rifle are stripped from the factory. The screws just spin as they reach the bottom of the hole. They are the right screws and length- I cross referenced them with a set of weaver mounts and screws-those spin too. Here I sit with a 1,200 rifle- a 700.00 vortex scope- and a useless gun. I can take it to a gun smith and have them tap a size bigger, or try to get a new gun from browning..what would you do?? I def. dont want browning to "fix" the issue with a repair. I don't trust factory gun repairs and don't feel like I should have to repair a brand new " high end" rifle. Would they send me a new rifle? 78.5 % of me wants to have a smith tap 1 size up and be done.. any thoughts
  2. SHOOTER13

SHOOTER13 Guest

Welcome to the Browning Owners Forum (again) Coltchester !!

I myself would cut my loss and take it to a gunsmith I trust...saving time / money / aggravation

PM sent...Good Luck my friend !!
    Last edited by a moderator: Mar 1, 2015
  3. Thanks dude. I'm stoked-- I have alot of guns, and love to discuss..
  4. Rudolph31

Rudolph31 .30-06

Just my 2 cents... If I knew a gunsmith I could trust, I'd let him do it. But personally I haven't had much luck with people calling themselves "Gunsmiths". I'd trust the Browning repair facility over someone I didn't know.
    Tazman1602 likes this.
  5. I believe the stock needs to come off and the action removed to do it correctly.. I know its a large flat head ( which I wish they would ban forever) Wonder if most smiths can do this without messing things up..
  6. Does larger holes generally make for a nuisance when changing up the mount system?..I bought a DNZ 1 piece integral mount for the rifle also and was going to swap them out to see which worked best. Im hoping screw heads will be same diameter with a step up larger screws
  7. Thought I would get more replies here..
    Anyways, the gun is on its way to browning for " review" I demanded a new rifle so well see what happens...
  8. SHOOTER13

SHOOTER13 Guest

People come and go here coltchester...some visit once a week...others once a month,

I'm here almost every day to keep the peace and dump the spammers...

Good luck and keep us in the loop...
  9. Mark

Mark Copper BB

I just picked up a BAR 7mm-08 today, tried to put a Leupold one piece base on it and have the same problem. Please let me know how they take care of you as I will be calling them tomorrow.
  10. SHOOTER13

SHOOTER13 Guest

Welcome to the Browning Owners Forum Mark !!
  11. Mark

Mark Copper BB

Thank you! I spoke to Browning today and they are sending the parts to fix it. I have a nickel receiver and the tap is a sleeve that just needs to be replaced.
  12. SHOOTER13

SHOOTER13 Guest

Excellent Mark...keep us in the loop as to when you get the parts and the process to fix it !!
  13. Mark

Mark Copper BB

Parts came in today. I will try to send pictures of the process and parts this weekend.
  14. SHOOTER13

SHOOTER13 Guest

Thanks Mark...!!
  15. Mark

Mark Copper BB

Camera wouldn't work with me but hopefully you can figure it out with these pictures.
  16. Mark

Mark Copper BB

Is there a trick to putting pictures on here? It said it was going to email a confirmation????
  17. SHOOTER13

SHOOTER13 Guest

I use this free image hosting site...just register...upload your photos to it....edit / resize / store....download your photos to any forum.

Free & Easy...

http://www.photobucket.com
  18. So how did it go? Mine is a solid steal receiver...Its been at the service center for 3 weeks with no news. Never heard of thread inserts as you state. Let me know what happens. I would have sent the gun back..we shouldn't be fixing our own NEW rifles that we didn't break. So far, I'm far from impressed.
  19. Mark

Mark Copper BB

I still haven't had time to put pictures up, but pretty simple process. Inserts seem very weak though, kind of disappointing coming from Browning.