BAR Mark II FTF

Discussion in 'Browning BAR Rifle' started by SJardins, Nov 19, 2016.

1. SJardins

SJardins Copper BB

Bought this used a couple days ago, loaded 2 shells in the mag, cycled one in the chamber and click, nothing. Manually cycled another round in the chamber and same thing. I checked both shells and there's a real faint indentation on the primer.

Next I left the mag in and with the receiver open, dropped a round in, hit the button and let it slam shut and that round fired with normal indentation on the primer. I quit after that and got on the phone with Browning and they told me to send it in but before I do that I'd like to know if anyone else has experienced this and what if anything fixed the problem. If it makes any difference, it's a 2002 model in 7mm Mag.

Thanks in advance for any help with this. I'm not sure if I can track the guy down I bought it from, he lives 300 miles away and it was a "meet half way" deal. It's a beautiful gun so I'd like to keep it anyway if I can het this solved.
    SHOOTER13 likes this.
  2. SHOOTER13

SHOOTER13 Guest

Welcome to the Browning Owners Forum !!

Enjoy the forum.
    Last edited by a moderator: Nov 21, 2016
  3. MZ5

MZ5 .270 WIN

Might just need a thorough cleaning. _Might_ be a headspace issue, or more particularly, short ammo, but I'd clean it thoroughly first, then send it to Browning if that doesn't address the issue.
  4. SHOOTER13

SHOOTER13 Guest

Can we see a picture of it....!?
  5. SJardins

SJardins Copper BB

I can certainly put up a picture. My camera isn't that great but I'll get a couple of picks of the receiver later this morning if that will help.
  6. SJardins

SJardins Copper BB

7. SJardins

SJardins Copper BB

MZ5, wouldn't you trust a local gunsmith? I live bear Hayward, WI and there's a couple good gunsmiths in the area. I've never mailed in a gun before but it seems like it would be a pain to do but if a gunsmith can't figure it out, at least I think he could help me out mailing it in.
  8. SHOOTER13

SHOOTER13 Guest

Fine looking rifle...
  9. MZ5

MZ5 .270 WIN

SJardins,
    I could not find a local 'smith in my area for a few years that simultaneously I trusted/felt confident with, and who would agree to work on something for me in less than months to years. Happily, I have now found a gunsmith whom I trust and am happy with, and is able to work on things for me more quickly.

I still think that a good, thorough cleaning may correct this issue. Nevertheless, if the gun needs mechanical help and you have a gunsmith who will work on it, I see no problem. I'd happily have my 'smith work on mine if I needed the help. I simply thought it might be more cost effective to send it to Browning.
  10. SJardins

SJardins Copper BB

Well, took it to a local guy and he kept it overnight and after he cleaned out everything it seems to be a lot better. I can duplicate the misfire if I let the bolt close slowly but as long as I let it slam shut, it fires ever time. I'll shoot it some more just to be sure but I don't think sending it in will be necessary at this time. Thanks for all the replies everyone.
    MZ5 likes this.
  11. SHOOTER13

SHOOTER13 Guest

Good Luck and let us know how you make out...