BAR 30-06 shooting the best groups

Discussion in 'Browning BAR Rifle' started by Shawn Healy, Dec 9, 2015.

1. Shawn Healy

Shawn Healy Copper BB

Hey guys, My 1969 Browning BAR 30-06 rifle is having an issue with MOA. I have tried a couple of different rounds (maybe not enough) and my groups are not the best. I'm going to hit the range this weekend and check some other rounds so I will have an update with groups at 50, 100, and I hope 200 yards if I'm on paper at that point.

I have cleaned the gas system and did take a nice 12 point buck with this gun last year. It does have some green in the barrel which is copping fouling (I believe). I ordered Sweets 7.62 and will clean the gun before hitting the range but looking for some tips on how to improve my groups. I have a different BAR that shoots right at 1.5 groups at 100 yards which is what I would like to be hitting with my 30-06. Also the rifle is in good condition for it's age.

The copper fouling happened while I was shooting it last time so it was not fouled when I took it to the range. I noticed the fouling later at the house.

What do you guys think about Sweets 7.62 for cleaning the bore?

I'm open to thoughts and ideas.
  2. Shawn Healy

Shawn Healy Copper BB

Shot 2 inch groups with 125 grain and 1.5 inch groups with 180 grain (100 yards). The key was Nosler ammo. My 30-06 likes the Nosler ammo. The other ammo was not grouping well like before.