BAR-22 Thoughts

Discussion in 'Browning Semi-Auto 22 Rifle' started by BB61, Apr 16, 2013.

1. BB61

BB61 Copper BB

Any thoughts are concerns about these? I am looking at a Type 1 manufactured in 1978 (see picture). I am told it has never been fired and based on my examination I would tend to agree. It comes with the original box and manual plus the following spare parts: (1) inner mag tube; (2) ejector bar; (3) bolt handle; (4) top rail; and (5) F.P. ejector. What is this worth based upon its condition and are they reliable, good shooters, etc?
    I have always wanted the SA-22 but this is very intriguing.

THANKS!!!!!

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
  2. Billythekid

Billythekid Administrator Staff Member Administrator

hey, welcome to the Browning Owners Community!! Sounds like you came across a great find. The Browning 22s are consider a very accurate firearm and are rare in the condition you are talking. I did a little searching around and found a pretty decent condition Browning BAR 22 go for 780. So i wouldn't be surprised if he is asking a pretty penny for this one.

http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewItem.aspx?Item=335216043
  3. BB61

BB61 Copper BB

Thanks for your reply. New to the forum but long-time Browning geek but I have never owned a Browning in a .22lr platform. My true Browning claim to fame is that I office shared in his old mansion in down-town Ogden, Utah in the mid-90's. The house had a pistol range in the basement (505-25th Street, Ogden, UT). I will check the GB listing. I am fairly confident I can get it for sub $500.

I just checked the GB BAR-22. It is clearly in nowhere as good as condition as the one I am looking at and it doesn't have the spare parts, original box or manual. Thanks for the link.
  4. B78

B78 Copper BB

I can't estimate price, but I have a pristine 1977 BAR 22 - that's the first year of manufacture. You should have the steel receiver, vice the newer aluminum receiver on yours as well.

As mentioned, it sounds like you made a really good find. Mine has been very reliable - I actually can't remember any problems with it at all. I put a Leupold Rimfire Special scope on mine a few years ago and it's a great shooter. It's a heavier .22 rimfire though and feels more like a center fire sized rifle than a .22. It's definitely bigger than the Semi-Auto or the BL-22!

One thing to think about - if you're going to shoot it a lot, parts are getting very scarce. They're also not a rifle that you're going to want to tear completely down unless you've done that kind of thing a lot. It's not a simple rifle. That being said, they're beautiful little rifles and great to shoot.

I kind of wonder why yours has all the spare parts with it.... that's curious. Hang onto them!