Anyone with knowledge on A5 Stock Types?

Discussion in 'Browning Auto A-5' started by Wingman, May 24, 2016.

1. Wingman

Wingman .270 WIN

Good result last week, I found an old Auto5 in my local firearm dealer that was on the scrap heap. It was a complete receiver (no barrel) that according to the owner he had shot previously so was working OK. His plan was to keep it for spares but with my negotiation I managed to buy if for 35 pounds, and I'll strip it down and keep it for spares for my 1930 Auto5. It has a reasonable stock on it which I thought I might strip down and refinish, its a prince of wales type with a heavy dark varnish but no chequering at all. It also has a small metal part at the wrist which I wonder means that its been pinned but I cant see any damage or crack in the wood. I am not sure what it is and wondered if anyone could help ID the small metal discs and perhaps give me a any pointers on the originality or age of the stock. Picture below, sorry there not great as my phone is a bit poor!

Thanks as always guys for any help or advice you may be able to offer!

20160524_071741-600x1067.jpg 20160524_071733-600x1067.jpg
  2. Rudolph31

Rudolph31 .30-06

If it wasn't lost during the "refinishing", the serial number should be stamped in the slot for the lower tang.

[​IMG]

It's probably original to the gun. As for the disk, if it's not part of a repair it could be for ease of identification. I see that a lot on British military rifles.
  3. Wingman

Wingman .270 WIN

Great, thanks!

I'll whip it off tonight and take a look....
  4. Wingman

Wingman .270 WIN

Took it off, the metal is a pin holding the wrist together, as the stock is broken. It was so badly oil damaged that it literally fell apart so has now ended up in the trash. Not a problem as I bought the gun for spares and I dont need another wooden stock at the moment!