Any ideas on age of Sweet 16?

Discussion in 'Browning Auto A-5' started by CaySea, Mar 5, 2016.

1. CaySea

CaySea .22LR

I have a Sweet 16 and have been trying to find the approximate age, but am not really coming up with anything too definitive. Any ideas from the experts here?

Receiver
    [​IMG]

Serial Number ?
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
  2. SHOOTER13

SHOOTER13 Guest

I'll have to defer to the experts here... doubt the A92 is the serial number though.
  3. CaySea

CaySea .22LR

Understood on the doubts......I have them as well.
    SHOOTER13 likes this.
  4. SHOOTER13

SHOOTER13 Guest

Well... standby...I'm positive one of the experts here will know !
  5. Rob poston

Rob poston .270 WIN

PM me your serial number, and I can tell you exactly when it was produced. Nice Sweet-Sixteen!
  6. Rob poston

Rob poston .270 WIN

It is going to be post-'45, though.
  7. Rudolph31

Rudolph31 .30-06

Whoa, you've got an A prefix. That IS the serial number. There were 2 runs of 16 gauge Auto-5's with that prefix, and it's impossible to tell them apart from the number alone. Fortunately, you've provided a picture of the date code and I can research it for you.

The Greek letter Theta makes it a 1953 gun.

http://damascus-barrels.com/Belgian_All_Proofmarks.html
    SHOOTER13 likes this.
  8. SHOOTER13

SHOOTER13 Guest

WOW....a year older than me !!

Awesome...
  9. Rudolph31

Rudolph31 .30-06

Auto-5 serial numbers can be very confusing, and especially so for the 16 gauge.

Originally, all guns received sequential serial numbers. But after WWII the standard 16 gauge shotgun shell in the U.S. changed from 2 9/16" (65mm) to 2 3/4" (70mm). Many changes had to be made to the Auto-5 to cycle these longer shells, and the guns had a separate serial number range along with an X prefix. This system was used from 1947 to 1953 and numbers ran from X1001 to X99999.

In late 1953 the X was changed to an A for a run of only 958 guns that ended in 1954. The OP's 16 is one of these.

In late 1953 the Standard and Sweet Sixteen were given different prefixes and separate serial numbers. The Sweet received an S and ran from S01 to S99908, and the Standard an R (for regular?) and ran R01 to R99999. This run ended in 1957.

In 1958 the S was changed to A (allege, French for light) and the R to T for a run of 10900 guns. In this case the serial numbers are concurrent, there is no record of how many of the 10900 were Sweet Sixteens or Standard models. And there is no way to differentiate these A prefixed guns from the earlier run by serial number alone. Note that the OP's gun is a Sweet Sixteen, but in his case the A only designates a gun chambered for the 2 3/4" shell.

Later in 1958 the S and R returned, along with a single digit date code.
    Rob poston and SHOOTER13 like this.
  10. SHOOTER13

SHOOTER13 Guest

Always a wealth of information...

Thanks Rudolph !!
  11. CaySea

CaySea .22LR

Thank you so much and my hat is off to you for your knowledge.
  12. CaySea

CaySea .22LR

I am guessing that makes us the same age :)
  13. Rudolph31

Rudolph31 .30-06

You old farts are too kind. I'm a 1955 model...
    SHOOTER13 likes this.
  14. SHOOTER13

SHOOTER13 Guest