Another How Old Question: 20 Ga Belgium Made

Discussion in 'Browning Auto A-5' started by TheMoose, Mar 5, 2015.

1. TheMoose

TheMoose Copper BB

"I apologize for not being able to figure it out... I went to the Browning site and used their info, but could not find a match to a little "Twenty" that I was given by a great uncle... As the title says it is Belgium made, the markings on the right side of the receiver are "Twenty" above "Browning". The serial number is on two lines by the feed tube: upper line is 3z the number below is 71xxx..... any help would be greatly appreciated... I hope to keep the gun in the family, so a better knowledge of the background would be of great value... there is a lot of engraving on the gun, I'm assuming factory...

Thanks for helping,

TheMoose
  2. TheMoose

TheMoose Copper BB

Guess my meds hadn't kicked in yet... went to NRA site and found that the gun was made in 1963... sorry to bother you folks.
  3. Rudolph31

Rudolph31 .30-06

Hello, Moose. Welcome to the Forum. You are not the first to be confused by the Browning site. They don't tell you it's just for the 12 gauge, and it is full of contradictory information.

Grade I Browning imported Auto-5s had no engraving until 1938. Grades II, III, and IV had progressively more ornate engraving. By 1938, Grade I guns had standard engraving very similar to the Grade II, which was no longer offered.

So if your gun looks like this, it is factory engraving, Grade I.
    [​IMG]
  4. TheMoose

TheMoose Copper BB

Rudolph31,

Thanks so much for your reply and picture... the engraving on mine is identical to yours... so I guess I have a Grade I made in 1963... mystery solved...

Thanks again for your quick help.

Kindest regards,

TheMoose

5. Rudolph31

Rudolph31 .30-06

TheMoose:

It's my pleasure to share knowledge of the Auto-5. And it's refreshing to find someone willing spend five minutes researching his own questions!

You may be interested to know that your shotgun, marked "Twenty" is a Light Twenty, although they didn't change the marking on the receiver until 1973. Special lightened versions of the 16 and 12 gauge guns were called the Sweet Sixteen (1936) and Light Twelve (1946). Lightening was accomplished by drilling holes in the barrel ring, milling 4 half-round cuts in the receiver, and hollowing out the stock under the plate. Weight savings of about 4 oz were achieved over Standard Models.

There was never a Standard Twenty. When the gun was introduced in 1958, these same techniques were used. Confusion has reigned ever since, as there seems to be 3 versions of the gauge, when in fact there is only 2. The Magnum Twenty was introduced in 1967.
  6. TheMoose

TheMoose Copper BB

Rudolph31,

Once again, thank you very much! My uncle has passed several years ago and had no sons. A year or two before passing he gave my cousin his Win. Model 12 in 28ga and me the 20 gauge. I never thought of asking him when he had purchased shotgun... I think he actually bought it for his wife... he was an avid rabbit hunter and loved his beagles and "good" guns. The 20 looks brand new with the exception that he had someone change the length of the stock by putting in "lexan" appearing spacers between the wood and the recoil pad.... very nicely and professionally done... but an oddity.

Thanks again
  7. SHOOTER13

SHOOTER13 Guest

Thanks Rudolph !