Ankle Holsters

Discussion in 'Handguns' started by Mister Coffee, Apr 22, 2017.

1. In another thread, we are discussing carry guns.

http://browningowners.com/forum/index.php?threads/post-your-carry-handgun.663/

Someone in that thread mentioned that they carry a backup in an ankle holster. Since I have never done this, I would like to know: What are the pro's and con's of ankle holsters? Please feel free to state your Reply as though you were talking to someone with no experience at all with this kind of carry.

Thanks. :)
  2. Rob poston

Rob poston .270 WIN

I do not carry on the ankle, but will chime in with my $0.02.

Pros:
    Inconspicuous. No handle showing.
    Not the first place a bad guy would check for a firearm.
    Little unnecessary contact (unlike pocket carry).

Cons:
    Limited firearm selection. It will have to be small enough to carry under the pant leg.
    Ease/speed of access. In order to draw, you have to reach down, hike your pant leg up, then draw the weapon.
    Selection of holsters.
    Muscle memory does not bring me to the ankle. I know this can be overcome, but I do not want to leave any chance of error.

All in all, it is just not for me. Added to this is the fact that I often wear boots in the winter. I cannot carry "booot style", because I have thick calf muscles.
    For me, hip carry all the way. Well, chest-rig carry, too... but that would probably be frowned upon in the civilian sector. ;-)

For a backup, ankle would be fine. I just never have felt a need for it, personally.
  3. So, no backup at all for you, Rob?
    Rob poston likes this.
  4. Rob poston

Rob poston .270 WIN

Sure, I carry seven back ups. Eight, with an extended magazine. ;-)
    SHOOTER13 and Mister Coffee like this.
  5. SHOOTER13

SHOOTER13 Guest

Not my cup of tea either...same reason(s) as Rob...

I carry as many as two extra magazines depending on the gun I'm carrying...but no New York Reload.
    Rob poston likes this.