A5 with Briley Choke Job Value

Discussion in 'Browning Auto A-5' started by Mtymse63, Jan 31, 2016.

1. Mtymse63

Mtymse63 Copper BB

Does anyone have any experience with Magnum models and Briley Choke jobs? I have an option on a mid 70's Magnum in 95% condition that has had a Briley Choke Job done. The owner is asking $750.00 for it. It is a beautiful gun in great condition and I'm looking for an all purpose gun. He has a skeet choke with the gun. Any thoughts on these guns with these chokes and value? I would need to purchase a few other chokes to satisfy my needs.
  2. Rudolph31

Rudolph31 .30-06

I've no personal experience with the Magnums, but I think I can answer your question. The shotgun as you describe it sounds like a bargain if it cycles standard shells reliably. These guns have 2 sets of brakes to control magnum recoil; 1 set is removed when shooting target ammo, but that magnum spring can still cause jams. I've heard some guys install a standard spring and Friction Piece to make their Magnum Twelve's "all around shotguns".

Find out what the owner does and shoot the gun if you can. If it fits you and you're OK with the weight, buy it.
    SHOOTER13 likes this.
  3. SHOOTER13

SHOOTER13 Guest

Good advice Rudolph....thanks !!
  4. Mtymse63

Mtymse63 Copper BB

Thanks Rudolph31 - I would probably do most shooting in 2 3/4" as I do more upland thank waterfoul. Won't be able to shoot it before possibly buying. I will have to rely on honesty of seller, but I'm going under assumption that he uses it primarily as 2 3/4 since it has skeet choke installed. Any other questions I should ask?
  5. Rudolph31

Rudolph31 .30-06

I wouldn't buy it without trying it out, especially for upland hunting. These guns were made for the duck blind and are much heavier than the typical upland shotgun. You may be happier with a Light Twelve, Sweet Sixteen, or a Light Twenty.