A5 value

Discussion in 'Browning Auto A-5' started by Az_Steve, Feb 5, 2013.

1. Az_Steve

Az_Steve Copper BB

Hi All, I'm trying to figure out the value of my grandfathers Auto 5 12 gauge. Serial number is 135xxx which I figure puts the mfg date someplace around 1924 - 27. He used it to put food on the table back in the day so it has some dings on the forearm stock from holding down the top wire on barbwire fences. Other than that it is in operational condition with out any rust spots. Just trying to figure out a ball park low and high value.

Thanks!! Steve
  2. Billythekid

Billythekid Administrator Staff Member Administrator

hey Steve, welcome to the browning Owners Community!!! do you have any pics of the A-5? I have seen them lately in great condition go between 700-1100 so depending on how warn it is 300-500 would be my guess.
  3. jwhitely

jwhitely Copper BB

I am brand new here on Browning Owners, and am just slightly less new as a Browning Owner. I inherited an A5 from a relative and am trying to find out all I can about it. Is there a place/person I can contact to get an appraisal of sorts? I have an A5 that I believe is a bit more rare than some (not extremely) and would love to get a somewhat professional appraisal.

Thanks in advance for any help.
  4. Setters4life

Setters4life .270 WIN

You could post some pics and folks here could try to assist you. The only variations in the A-5 that would set it apart from others would be special editions or commemoratives, those with a higher grade of engraving (there were several,) or aluminum receiver guns that were sold only in Europe.

Where are you located?
  5. jwhitely

jwhitely Copper BB

I can't seem to be able to get photos posted for some reason. Here is what I believe I've figured out so far. (but I could be completely wrong, I've just been doing research online) I believe it is a 1947 Sweet 16. It is from the year before they were actually engraved with "Sweet 16" thus some call it a "Stealth 16" or "Ghost 16." It has the 3 holes drilled in the barrel ring that goes around the magazine tube, the gold (or what's left of the gold) trigger, and the weight relieved sections inside the chamber. The serial number (all matching) is x10588. I'd love to know if I'm accurate in what I think I know and if someone knows what the value is. I know "value" is extremely subjective, but still interested to know.

Thanks in advance for any help someone can provide.
  6. Setters4life

Setters4life .270 WIN

It does sound like you have a Ghost or Stealth 16. Value is subjective based on condition, but you are looking at a grand pr more if sold here on the East Coast. MY guess, anyways.
  7. jwhitely

jwhitely Copper BB

Thanks Setters4life. I wasn't exactly close to the relative I inherited it from, so there's no real sentimental value attached to it. I'd like to hang on to it, but I'm still not sure. If I did want to sell it, how would I go about finding someone who wants to purchase this particular Browning? Sorry for all the questions, I'm still pretty new to the world of firearms.

Thanks again.