A5 Stalker bolt latch problem

Discussion in 'Browning Auto A-5' started by J Spooner, Jan 4, 2015.

1. J Spooner

J Spooner Copper BB

I bought a A5 in 2013. The first time I hunted with it the bolt latch would not release a shell from the magazine to be loaded into the chamber consistently using 2 3/4 inch shells from various manufactures. I took the gun to an authorized Browning gunsmith. The gunsmith cleaned it and said it worked fine. I didn't use the gun again until this past fall (2014) and I am still having the same problem when I have four shells in the magazine, the bolt latch won't release a shell to be loaded in the chamber. I took it back to the gunsmith a month ago and they could not duplicate or fix the problem. They told me after 4 weeks they are sending the gun back to Browning to see if they can fix the problem. Has anyone else had this problem and how did Browning correct it i.e., repair the problem, refund your purchase cost, replace with a new gun, etc.
  2. SHOOTER13

SHOOTER13 Guest

Welcome to the Browning Owners Forum J Spooner !!

First I'm hearing of this problem...keep us in the loop on the fix.
  3. tactlt

tactlt Copper BB

Check the position of the magazine cut off lever on the left front of the receiver. It purposefully blocks shells from leaving the magazine so you can either clear the chamber without loading another shell or if you want to load a different type of shell via the ejection chamber. Forward allows feeding - Rearward blocks shells from feeding
  4. SHOOTER13

SHOOTER13 Guest

Thanks for the advice tactit !!
  5. J Spooner

J Spooner Copper BB

The A5 Stalker does not have a magazine cut off lever like the older Browning Auto 5. I sent it back to the factory and it appears they corrected the problem, although I won't know for sure until until I hunt with it this fall.
  6. SHOOTER13

SHOOTER13 Guest

OK...good to know !!

Keep us in the loop...