A5 speed load conversion

Discussion in 'Browning Auto A-5' started by Ranger6, Apr 22, 2018.

1. Ranger6

Ranger6 Administrator Staff Member Administrator Global Moderator Forum Moderator

Nope. I did it myself. Turned out pretty damn good. Hope to shoot tomorrow after work. I am very happy with the results. Took a chance and I think it will pay off. Next stop after I enjoy for awhile is art’s to make it pretty.
    kumpe and Rudolph31 like this.
  2. Rudolph31

Rudolph31 .30-06

Robert, did you modify your trigger plate or install a new one? Modifying the old style plate requires a couple of precisely drilled holes. And then there’s the question of what to do with the old safety, which no longer works if you changed the trigger instead of modifying the old one.

Anyway, I’m interested in how you did it. And of course, pictures would help.
  3. kumpe

kumpe .410

Do you know anyone who has successfully done this? Never heard of it but was thinking about wether it would be possible when I was trying to convert to cross bolt.
    Since I have both a spare trigger plate with the old style safety and all the other pieces from the cross bolt it might be worth a try, but would like to check with someone who has done it before getting started.
  4. kumpe

kumpe .410

If you didn't convert an old style one, which of the two "pins" for the carrier spring did you remove?
  5. Ranger6

Ranger6 Administrator Staff Member Administrator Global Moderator Forum Moderator

I measured my receiver after comparing to a light 12 with cross bolt safety. Everything measured exact. I then ordered a complete trigger from mgw. About 200 dollars. Carrier spring may or may not come with it. When I got the new trigger I checked to see if things would line up and it looked like it would work if rear pin on my receiver was removed. That’s the one that holds the carrier mounted spring. The front pin didn’t look to be a problem. I disassembled receiver so I could put it in a vise. Then very carefully cut the rear pin off with a mini cutting wheel. Those pins actually are silver soldered in and if you look very carefully you will see that they go all the way through receiver. My first thought was to de solder it, just in case the new trigger went south I could put it back. But after looking at it you can tell they go all the way through. I didn’t want a hole in the side of the receiver, so my only option was to cut it off.
  6. Ranger6

I cut the rear pin as close as I could to the receiver, then finished with a sanding bit in my mini grinder( like a dremel), but mine spins much faster if necessary. Then used 400 grit sand paper to finish the job. After recovering from cutting off the pin, thinking ok if this don’t work I’m gonna be really pissed. I dropped the new trigger in and the screws dropped right in. Put the receiver back together and performed several loads and unloads. So far flawless. Like I said haven’t shot it yet, but will as soon as it stops raining. I hardly doubt there will be an issue though, cause I have worked through a bunch of issues, so after you do this enough you kind of know what to look for.
    After I shoot it and have success I will post pictures. If either of you are interested in part# for trigger let me know. I will send you what I got. There may not be any left as MGW is out of a lot of things.
  7. kumpe

kumpe .410

Gutsy move removing the pin on the receiver. I modified the trigger guard just to be on the safe side if it wouldn't work. Glad I did.
    Last edited: Jun 19, 2018
  8. Ranger6

As far as modifying my old trigger. It was pretty beat up and no bluing left so I wanted a nice looking trigger guard, so decided to go with a new one. More time shooting and less time fixing had a big part in my decision. This thing went from not useable to a fully functional A5.
    kumpe likes this.
  9. Ranger6

Kumpe I pondered this for 2 weeks. Trust me I did all the what if, with a lot of help from a buddy in that area. Finally decided you only live once and just think where we would be if no one every tried different things. I am pretty meticulous, checked and rechecked everything, so I was pretty sure it would work. I was told I was crazy, but hey no one will be thinking that come range day
  10. Ranger6

I think the biggest problem you will run into if you do this is getting the carrier spring. MWG is out of the new carrier springs, I was told they will get no more. The new trigger is suppose to come with it, but mine did not. Numrich has them but don’t know for how long. There is a company that makes special order springs, cost is around 100 per spring, they do excellent work.
  11. kumpe

kumpe .410

100 per spring!? Wow...
    Are things really that bad right now when it comes to Auto-5 spares?
    The only US company that will ship over here is Brownells, and I know they recently started listing everything as out of stock, but I thought maybe it was just their supply chain that had problems.
    Has production of spares ceised completely?
  12. Rudolph31

Rudolph31 .30-06

OK, if I understand correctly, you replaced the whole Trigger Plate (what Browning calls the trigger guard). That would make things easier. I’m pretty sure you didn’t have to cut off the posts for the old style Carrier Spring. I have a 1957 16 that has the cross bolt safety but still uses the old style spring. And MGW shows new style Carrier Springs in stock for $9.00.
  13. kumpe

kumpe .410

The post in the receiver sits in roughly the same position as the post on the cross bolt trigger plate. At least in my case they did. So one has got to go for it to fit.
  14. Rudolph31

Rudolph31 .30-06

I didn’t know that. I guess I have a rare plate, being used just from 1951-58.
  15. kumpe

kumpe .410

Interesting. If you ever happen to take it apart I would love to see how that trigger plate is designed.
  16. Ranger6

Yes MGW shows in stock until you try to order. Then it will say “ notify when available”, which according to MGW is not going to happen. They buy from browning direct and browning has already sold all remaining stock to them months ago.
    And if my research is right the 16 is different from the 12. There is no way, without a lot of work anyway, that new trigger would work with rear pin still in receiver. Don’t know about old trigger or if you modify an existing trigger.
  17. Ranger6

Kumpe you are correct, even numrich is running out. I tried to buy one from another gunsmith earlier this week, cause MGW was out and they refused to sell it. I even offered 50 dollars and was still told no.
    My trigger from MGW was suppose to come with it and it didn’t. When I called them to ask, they actually wanted the trigger back and offer full refund. Had to get Terry on the phone to work it all out. He ended up refunding me $9.00, my cost of the carrier spring.
    By the way if you ever have a problem with MGW, he is the one to talk to. He is a really nice guy and very fair. Their online help is a different story, but as long as they make it right I am good.
  18. Ranger6

Range report:
    Ok update on the standard 12 speed load conversion. Before I left for gun range I decided to check everything one more time. Hick- up noted. With bolt to the rear and loading first shell about every 4th time, rim of shell( gun club, reload) would get stuck on cartridge stop and fail to go into chamber if I slightly pushed on cartridge stop, shell loaded in chamber( watch fingers, or they will load also). Did some checks, mic reload shell thinking rim a little distorted. Not the case as it was exactly same as new shell. Removed cartridge stop and mic it, comparing to a 1957 light 12 with speed load from factory. Light 12 measured 2.60mm thick. One in standard 12(1936) measured .5 mm thicker. Compared to new cartridge stop, same as one in standard 12. Possibly someone had changed cartridge stop at some time not sure. Checked spring for cartridge stop, look different, but have same height compressed and not compressed. Inspection of cartridge stop under magnifying glass showed slight wear marks from rim of shell. Used jewelers file to remove slight amount of material. Followed up by a fine grit polishing stone. Then I put a slight bevel on the front of cartridge stop, to match the one in light 12.
  19. Ranger6

Shot 75 rounds through it today and not one issue. Shot factory ammo and reloads. Loaded 2 shells and 4 shells multiple times. Firing slowly and very fast. Everything cycles the way it should and cross bolt safety performed flawlessly.
    I do believe I can mark this a success. Learned so much about A5 and it’s truely a work of art.
    On a side note: if you are going to attempt this conversion, be prepared to spend some money and time getting everything fitted and working correctly. For me failure wasn’t an option, so if you need help or have questions don’t hesitate to ask. Would have been nice to know some of the stuff that I learned along the way. Would have saved me time and money.
    Lastly I want to thank Rudolph and Kumpe for all their help. The forums rock. Would like to see some more people get involved, but most don’t stick around long enough to find out just how much knowledge there really is out there from members.
    kumpe likes this.
  20. Ranger6

Picked up another A5 today for parts. To my surprise it has cross bolt safety with old carrier spring that mounts to receiver. Damn just when I thought I had seen it all. Looks like there are 2 changes from the old front safety. The carrier spring and the trigger housing. It’s after 3am and It’s no longer a parts gun. Replaced all the springs, cleaned and lubed. See what happens tomorrow.