A5 speed load conversion

Discussion in 'Browning Auto A-5' started by Ranger6, Apr 22, 2018.

1. Ranger6

Ranger6 Administrator Staff Member Administrator Global Moderator Forum Moderator

working on 1936 standard 12. Bought all parts new from Midwest. Locking block latch won’t work. Reinstalled old latch and speed function works great. The problem I’m having is when you load second shell. First one in magazine tube) it comes out of tube and hits shell stop. Then new lifter hits rim of shell and lifter is difficult to push down. Anyone modified lifter( front piece) to make this work correctly? Any help would be appreciated.

Attached Files:

2. Ranger6

Ranger6 Administrator Staff Member Administrator Global Moderator Forum Moderator

3. Rudolph31

Rudolph31 .30-06

The shell that’s hitting the Carrier is supposed to be stopped by the Locking Block Latch; maybe that’s why they call for its replacement when doing the conversion.

Speed Load first appeared in 1953, but in 1958 a lot of small changes were made in the Auto-5, possibly including a longer Carrier. To make it work you may have to shorten the new one. Let us know how you make out.
  4. Ranger6

Thank you sir for your reply. Yes it does call for the locking block latch to be replaced. The one that Midwest calls for does not work. I tried my 12 mag one and it’s too long and don’t work. I ordered one from numrich that looks different in the picture, should be here this week. If it don’t work then I see no other way, but to shorten the front carrier piece.
  5. Rudolph31

Rudolph31 .30-06

From your picture it does look like the shell is further out of the magazine than normal. Later I’ll pull a gun from the safe and compare it to yours.
  6. Ranger6

Thank you. I would really appreciate it. Not sure what is going on with locking latch but appears they are all different. Is it possible that yours has new style bolt? Mine is a1936. Old style bolt
  7. Rudolph31

Rudolph31 .30-06

In a collection of 13 Auto-5’s, just 4 have Speed Load. All are post-1958 except a 1957 Sweet Sixteen.

I’m curious, you said your new Locking Block Latch doesn’t work. That part has 2 functions, as a shell stop, and as the name implies, to prevent the Locking Block from engaging prematurely. What is yours doing?
  8. Ranger6

The one that is suppose to be required doesn’t allow the shell into magazine tube. The shell gets stuck about 1/2 inch into tube. It gets stuck on top step of locking latch. It actually takes plastic off the shell. I had an extra one so I filled it down and it allows shell to come out even further. So that’s when I tried the original one. To my surprise it works, I will upload some pics from someone else that has done the conversion.
  9. Ranger6

Don’t look like it going to allow me to upload. Says file is to big
  10. Ranger6

I just read your post again and your guns are after 1958. The breech block changed in 1958 to the new design that is .110 thick. Do you know if yours has the new or old block? It is possible that you may have old style too. Midwest shows anything prior to 1958 as being old style, from my experience I doubt browning tossed old breech blocks. If it was available and a gun was being made it went into the gun.
  11. Rudolph31

Rudolph31 .30-06

As I said, all but 3 of my guns are pre-1958, one of which has Speed Load. But I don’t think it’s the new Breech Block/Locking Block combo with the thicker rails that is your problem.

Here are two pictures showing how the shell should rest on the Locking Block Latch. The first is a 1953 standard 12 without Speed Load, the next is a 1984 Browning Classic with the feature.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Both images show the shell resting on the Latch well away from the Carrier. In your picture the shell is twice as far out of the magazine. I’ve added your picture for ease of comparison. It looks like your shell has completely bypassed the Locking Block Latch and is resting on the Carrier itself.
    [​IMG]
    Last edited: Apr 23, 2018
  12. Rudolph31

Rudolph31 .30-06

Looking at my pictures again, it does appear that the earlier gun lets the shell further out of the mag, and that the 2-Piece Carrier on the later gun is longer. It’s time to dig out my 1957 Sweet Sixteen.
  13. Rudolph31

Rudolph31 .30-06

[​IMG]

Here’s my ‘57 Sweet Sixteen.

[​IMG]
    1938 Sweet
    Last edited: Apr 23, 2018
  14. Ranger6

Ok more info. On my gun the shell does rest on the locking block latch you just can’t see it in the picture. I measured the carrier on my 12 mag and new 2 piece carrier and for some reason the mag 2 piece carrier is slightly shorter. This gun came with one piece carrier and it wasn’t close to carrier either, like in your first picture. I called Midwest and browning and confirmed that if you have old style breach block, you will also have to change locking block latch. I did get Midwest to say that the locking block latch does sit further forward in the new style breach block. I’m not convinced, but looks like that may be the case.
  15. Rudolph31

Rudolph31 .30-06

Well, this clears up a mystery for me. It never made sense until now that the Latch needed changing for this mod. But the pictured 16 has the old Breech Block, I’m not sure if the Locking Block Latch is any different than in my older 16’s.

Anyway, it looks like you’ll have to find a way to make the new part work or you’ll be grinding that expensive 2-Piece Carrier.
  16. Ranger6

I’m gonna order a new breach block and compare. Browning gunsmith said do not take any metal off carrier. I will have locking block latch from numrich on wed. Will report back on findings. And yes my old 12 mag locking block latch is way different. I may make a detailed video of this so people can enjoy these old guns. I have put a lot of time and effort in this and spent money to just figure it out. I love these old brownings though. Nothing like an 80 year old gun that out performs new ones and looks better too. Thank you for all your help.
    Rudolph31 likes this.
  17. Ranger6

I have studied these pictures pretty close and it sure looks like maybe these carries have been modified a little. If not then the only other possibility is that the design has been changed. Especially on the sweet sixteen, it has rounded front carrier, where the new one has pointy edges.
  18. Rudolph31

Rudolph31 .30-06

I added a shot of my 1938 Sweet Sixteen. There are a few differences, but some may just be the camera angle. The Carriers are definitely different.

Ordering a new Breech Block is a pretty expensive option. With the Locking Block and Extractor you’ll be spending over $200. Good luck!
  19. Ranger6

Yea at this point I’m in too deep to stop now. I just had new stock and forearm installed by browning. The barrel alone was over its value. Sure like it though. Didn’t think I would miss the speed load so much but I shoot skeet a lot and it’s really nice. Plus it’s my great grand dads. Killed more game then you can shake a stick at. I guess I might as well do it, then send it off and get it blued. Some day I will pass it to my youngest( daughter) that loves shooting. She is 7 now, but is my best reloader. Can do a box of 12 gauge shells in about 15 min. Priceless
    Rudolph31 likes this.
  20. Ranger6

Love that sweet sixteen. Don’t have one..... yet