A5 restorations.

Discussion in 'Browning Auto A-5' started by Bill Idaho, Nov 14, 2019.

1. Bill Idaho

Bill Idaho .270 WIN

Whilst (I love using that word) I personally have never held an A5 restored by Art's, I have heard time and time again, Art's is THE ultimate in A5 restorations. I also accept that Art's is THE place to have A5 work done. Period. Full stop. (Secondary question-who comes in second?) The two (restorations and repairs) are not exactly mutually connected, but in fact are dependent upon each other. (For the record, I have had Art's do work for me, and I rate them right at "Simply, the Best". But I digress......)

Anyway, in my very humble opinion, I have seen "restorations" done by the equivalent of what's known as a 'shade tree mechanic", up to other gun shops attempts at what they call "restorations". Some look "bad", or more accurately speaking- incorrect, as a hypothetical 1932 A5 would NOT have deep uber-shiny bluing, with the wood having a thick layer of poly clear, gold colored paint thinned down into what markings are left. Not to mention the engraving/ proof marks/etc. polished off. Clean machined edges rounded off, and so on.
    I have done my fair share of work on A5s, both to put food in my kids mouths, and as a hobby. I have gotten my rebluing down to just darn-near an exact duplicate of the old Browning bluing, back in the day before they switched to the hot-dip bluing. I can get a butt stock and forearm to look "original", or at least about 95% so.

Nothing twists my underwear more than seeing an old A5 on a table at a gun show that someone has ruined (IMHO) by "restoring" it.

Am I the only one? And, with all due respect, Art isn't getting any younger, and I suppose will retire some day. I pray someone will jump up and run with the ball.
    ripjack13 likes this.
  2. Ranger6

Ranger6 Administrator Staff Member Administrator Global Moderator Forum Moderator

I would guess it would be one or both of his sons. All of them are a great bunch to work with, but art for sure is a shining star.