A5 Magnums

Discussion in 'Browning Auto A-5' started by Goose, Aug 8, 2016.

1. Goose

Goose .410

picture of my A5 Magnums[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

My 1st A5 .... 1979 broke my Smith and Wesson pump-up and 4V 55060 came as a box of bits, put together
    and used as my goose gun until lead shot ban over water.Newer gun V77 47802 is probably a Miroku but how can you tell still stamped 'made in Belgium' on barrel also has VM62935 near barrel extension Don't like
    steel shot so whats your favorite 3" cartridge out there
    kumpe likes this.
  2. SHOOTER13

SHOOTER13 Guest

Very nice pair...
  3. Rudolph31

Rudolph31 .30-06

Nice guns, but I'm surprised at the serial numbers. Those are Browning Arms numbers, used on guns imported to the U.S. and Canada. I didn't think FN used that system for World Market guns.
  4. Goose

Goose .410

The more we try to unravel where these old guns travel to and from the more i wonder where they go when we pass them on.The older of the two guns. went to America,came back with serving airman he used it over the fens took it to bits probably because of the salt water/mud for a good clean.I bought it because no nice guns go into the mud flats,he had a box of bits and a long barrel in his car offered it to me if i bought the beer.He went back stateside with out his browning and a hang over,i would go out with the lads with me auto under me arm they had 10 bores 8 bores even though i was under gunned compared to them i could still reach the geese get to the pub dry out kit and dog by the fire like the best of them....Then one day they banned lead and now each shot is big money.The US air force has gone leaving us in the mud shooting in the moon- light(no where better) in my opinion.The second browning i bought because got a heap of 3" mag cartridges can't use over wet lands but with its short barrel it goes to work on foxes around the pheasant pens with a lamp.
    Rudolph31 likes this.
  5. Rudolph31

Rudolph31 .30-06

That's a good story, but there's still a bit of mystery. If the airman bought the gun in the U.S. it should have come with standard engraving. If he bought it overseas it should have a World Market serial number.

77V47802 is another oddball because in 1976 Browning went to a new serial number/date code system. 151 was the code for the 12 gauge magnum, and R the code for a 7, your serial number should be 151RR47802 if it was produced in Belgium and 47802RR151 if it was made in Japan. Since Japanese production started in 1976 I'm guessing that they never used the old system there. It's a safe bet that your 1977 gun was made in Herstal, which didn't end production until 1978.
    Last edited: Aug 13, 2016
    Goose likes this.
  6. Goose

Goose .410

I must admit strange things happen between Belgium, UK and USA when it comes To A5's we could still buy new in box 20 bore magnums(high grade finish) in 2002 that were made in Belgium because someone found the bits under a bench. But then they ship all spares stateside that we need hence we break up good guns for spares,and nobody wanted the later made jap guns so they are rare,with guns getting cannibalized god help the future collectors.I won't break up any early guns or over restore one either because ' battle scares are earned ' I will post a picture soon of a special trap from the 1930's with a different for-end to the norm that I've never seen before but its as it left the factory and remained in the family.

PS....if i can't get 12 bore main springs from Brownells would you help i need a couple for stock.
  7. Rudolph31

Rudolph31 .30-06

It amazes me that parts are so expensive in the UK but parts guns are so cheap. Eventually the cannibalization will leave just a few.

I always shake my head at the stupid European gun laws, but when it comes to international shipments, the U.S. leads the pack. It should be understood that our federal government hates the Second Amendment and does everything it can to bring "common sense laws" like you have, over here. The Feds have a free hand with anything crossing the border and I couldn't send so much as a stock screw across.

That said, some companies are willing to jump through the necessary hoops to ship parts. But I think it'd be a lot easier to order from a company outside the United States. This one is in Canada:

http://www.westerngunparts.com

There may be others. Good luck!
  8. Goose

Goose .410

Thanks for info tried a couple of dealers in Vancouver last week no joy but i will try westerngun.