A5 Light 20 Slug barrel question

Discussion in 'Browning Auto A-5' started by Michael Babcock, Sep 20, 2014.

1. Michael Babcock

Michael Babcock Copper BB

Hey there,

I just recently traded my 870 express to my friend for a Belgium Browning light 20 A5 , which I am in love with by the way. I want to use it as a slug gun during deer season up here in upstate NY. I used calipers to measure the exit end of the barrel to try and determine what choke the barrel has (it doesn't have a removable tube). The inner diameter of the barrel measures about .610". I found a chart online and I determined that the barrel is an improved cylinder choke, and from what I read improved cylinder choke and cylinder choke are the 2 chokes for shooting slugs. However I put 2 boxes of federal 2 3/4" rifles slugs through it at 25 yards and I could not get a good pattern out of it. Looking down the end of the barrel it appears that the barrel is getting quite leaded up. Soooo ultimately I want to get a "slug barrel" for this Light 20 because I don't do very much bird hunting but I am an avid deer hunter. A 20 gauge rifled barrel is ultimately what I want but I cannot find one online anywhere. Does anybody have any solid information on what choked barrel am I looking for to shoot slugs? Is improved cylinder and cylinder choke the best for shooting slugs? Which one is the absolute best? Does anybody have a link they can post to a chart that tells the dimensions of each possible choke barrel? Any and all information you guys can provide me will be greatly appreciated because shotgun season is less than 2 months away and I'm racking my brain trying to make this gun as accurate as possible with rifled slugs! Thank You!!!!
  2. Rudolph31

Rudolph31 .30-06

Browning chokes are indicated by stars on the left side of the barrel.

[​IMG]

*** for Cylinder
    **$ for Skeet
    **- for Improved
    ** for Modified
    * For Full

I think slugs can be fired from any constriction. You might want to see if a different brand is more accurate. I'm not an expert but I believe some are designed for rifled barrels and others for smooth bores.

I don't believe that Browning ever offered a rifled barrel for the Auto-5. They did offer a slug barrel with rifle sights. They're available from Midwest Gun Works for $450.

http://www.midwestgunworks.com/mm5/merchant.mvc?

You might also try eBay and Numrich Arms. But I think the cheapest option is to find a slug that works with what you have.

Oh, and congratulations on trading your Remington for a gun worth at least twice as much!
  3. Rudolph31

Rudolph31 .30-06

I did a little more research on slugs. You're right, Improved and Cylinder bores are best. But what looks like rifling on the slug is actually there to allow a tight choke to swage it to fit while still providing a gas seal.

I'm guessing that your barrel is marked as a Full choke. The reason that differs from your measurement is that the chart you consulted assumes a certain bore diameter. If your bore is slightly larger, the constriction will be more. Patterning the gun is the best (some say only) way to find out for sure.

Another option that will make your shotgun much more versatile is to have your choke opened. Art's Gun Shop will do this for $110.

http://artsgunshop.com/price-list.htm
  4. SHOOTER13

SHOOTER13 Guest

Welcome to the Browning Owners Forum Michael !!

...and thanks for the helping with the great info Rudolph31 !!
  5. Rudolph31

Rudolph31 .30-06

6. In The Ten Ring

In The Ten Ring .270 WIN

Oh wow! I can get an Invector barrel for my Auto 5? This is wonderful! Simply wonderful!

A friend used a slug barrel on his A5 12 gauge to shoot a deer.
  7. aramis

aramis Copper BB

I just purchased a Hastings rifled slug barrel for my Browning A5 from Ebay.

Attached Files:

8. In The Ten Ring

In The Ten Ring .270 WIN

I think a slug barrel would be neat to have but not much use for one where I live.

Congrats on your buy though.