A5 browning slide

Discussion in 'Browning Auto A-5' started by Kville kennels, Oct 30, 2017.

1. Kville kennels

Kville kennels Copper BB

We picked up a Belgian a5 for $200.. the guy tried cleaning it and the slide is hung back. A little of the extractor is sticking out and the slide don't go back all the way
    SHOOTER13 likes this.
  2. SHOOTER13

SHOOTER13 Guest

Welcome to the Browning Owners Forum !!

Enjoy our community...

I will defer your question to the experts here...
    Last edited by a moderator: Oct 30, 2017
    Kville kennels likes this.
  3. Rudolph31

Rudolph31 .30-06

I'm guessing that by "Slide" you mean the Bolt (what Browning calls the "Breech Block)? If so, it sounds like you have a problem with your Action Spring, Action Spring Tube, or Link. Maybe all 3 on a $200 gun.

The Action Spring is the bolt return spring and it rides in a tube threaded into (on pre-1958 guns) or silver soldered into the rear of the receiver. The Link is attached to the rear of the bolt on one end and rides on the Action Spring Follower on the other.

Remove your stock by removing its screw on the trigger guard. It's the one with the lock screw, the other is the Mainspring screw and you don't want to mess with it right now. Thump the receiver on a padded bench and the stock will come off in your hand.
  4. Rudolph31

Rudolph31 .30-06

This is an old (1903 or 04) parts diagram, but not much changed over 95 years.
    [​IMG]

Hopefully, when you removed the stock the Action Spring Tube was still attached to the receiver. The threaded variety have a tendency to break. That was the case with one of mine; I took it to Art's where they used a special reamer to remove the broken part and then silver soldered the new style in place. The old tubes are not available.

If the tube is OK it may be an old, rusty Action Spring that needs replacing. I suggest you clean the inside of the tube at this time also.

It may be that the Link has come off the Action Spring Follower. Clean up the tube and replace the spring anyway before putting it back.
    SHOOTER13 likes this.
  5. Rudolph31

Rudolph31 .30-06

Last edited: Oct 31, 2017
    SHOOTER13 likes this.
  6. Kville kennels

Kville kennels Copper BB

Thanks
  7. Kville kennels

Kville kennels Copper BB

Thanks I just dropped it off at a gun smith so I'll know in a couple days
    SHOOTER13 likes this.
  8. SHOOTER13

SHOOTER13 Guest

OK...keep us in the loop as to the cause and solution.