A-5 mainspring problem

Discussion in 'Browning Auto A-5' started by JoeW, Jul 26, 2016.

1. JoeW

JoeW Copper BB

I have a REALLY old A-5. It has the single piece liger and the safety in the front of the trigger. Anyway, the mainspring broke. I need to replace it so I went on-line and ordered one. It came in and is 1/4 inch two short. So short that it does not engage the trigger and if you screw it down it the trigger will not fit through the slot. It is like the slot for the trigger is also wrong.

So I examined the broke spring. The last 1/4 inch of the spring is "hinged" down. When under a magnifier it looks like some gun smith in the past got a spring for a modern A-5 and silver soldered an extension on it. Now that solder joint has cracked allowing the tip of the spring to be loose.

So who has the best source of parts for the really old (1928 I believe) A-5s. The one I ordered is from Numrich gun parts, http://www.gunpartscorp.com/. If you look at their parts breakdown of the A-5 they only show one option for the spring.

If all else fails I will re-solder the tip but I would like to get my hands on a real one.
  2. Rudolph31

Rudolph31 .30-06

Joe, I'm pretty sure the mainspring on the Auto-5 hasn't changed since the start of production in 1903. My first thought was that Numrich sent you a 16 gauge part, but Midwest Gun Works says "one size fits all". So maybe your spring is for a Remington or Savage. I'd buy another from MGW.

http://www.midwestgunworks.com/page/mgwi/PROD/B1111344

Another possibility is that you have an "American Browning", built by Remington during WWII. If that's the case, you'll need a Remington spring.
  3. JoeW

JoeW Copper BB

Took your advise and ordered one. But I am going to give the silver solder a try.
  4. SHOOTER13

SHOOTER13 Guest

Welcome to the Browning Owners Forum JoeW !!

Please introduce yourself to our community via the New Member Welcome Area...

Enjoy the forum.
  5. JoeW

JoeW Copper BB

my confidence is low now. I sent an email to Numrich describing the problem. Here is what the sent me. I make it look like I may have to learn to make springs :)
    <----- Email from
    Sorry we do not, see the odd used one but pretty worn out when we do.
    No one does a reproduction that we have found
    Thanks

Western Gun Parts Ltd. (W.G.P. Ltd.)
    18124 - 107 Avenue NW, Edmonton, Alberta, T5S 1K5, Canada
    Phone: 780-489-5711 | Fax: 780-489-5717
    Open Mon-Fri from 8-4 MST. Closed on weekends.

We accept MasterCard, VISA, AMEX and Discover.
    If supplying a credit card number we need the 3 digit CCV security code off of back of card.
    Note: Some VISA and MasterCard Debit cards are blocked from making international purchaser
    and some charge additional fees.

Subject: browning A-5 main spring

My A-5 was made in 1928. The main spring broke. I ordered a new one from Numrich. It is about 1/4 inch two short. I assume this issue is my shotgun has the old, in front of the trigger safety and the new spring was made for a newer model.

Do have a mainspring for my gun?

T
  6. JoeW

JoeW Copper BB

Oh, and go see my introduction. I think you will like it.
  7. Rudolph31

Rudolph31 .30-06

Quite a story. Your 1928 uses the same spring as a gun made in 1982.

I ordered an old style Carrier Spring from Numrich a couple of weeks ago. They sent me the new style. I wouldn't be surprised if they sent you the wrong part. I also see that their parts are just about double the price of the new-in-the-package parts from MGW. I use them as a last resort. I'd like to see a picture of the new and old spring side by side.

While you're waiting for parts, you can learn a lot about the Auto-5 right here, starting with Art's video.

Good luck and keep us informed.
  8. JoeW

JoeW Copper BB

Boy do I hope you are right! This evening I will try to post a picture of them side by side. Can you point me to Art's video?
  9. Rudolph31

Rudolph31 .30-06

Joe, I posted it in this forum. Look for "Art's Latest Video".
  10. JoeW

JoeW Copper BB

And the good news is! The mew spring from MGW fits perfectly! And that video was wonderful.
    Rudolph31 likes this.