A-5 friction ring - different types?

Discussion in 'Browning Auto A-5' started by jcs266, Jun 29, 2015.

1. jcs266

jcs266 .22LR

I took apart my Light Twelve for the first time to inspect it. The friction rings do not look like the ones I've seen in pics here on the forum. I guess I didn't realize there are different types? The only one I've seen here in pics so far is the thin bronze ring that sits on top of a steel ring with the flat base and beveled side that faces the bronze ring. The ring I have here appears much wider and has a steel band around it.

I have this one. What is it? There's no ring at the base of the recoil spring, only this one in the pic at the top of the recoil spring. This is a 2 3/4" chambered 26" IC barrel (on a 1972 A-5) made in Belgium.

OK for some reason I can't get my Photobucket to work. I'll add the pic as soon as I'm able.
  2. jcs266

jcs266 .22LR

ok trying again...[​IMG]
  3. jcs266

jcs266 .22LR

Ok I've been looking at parts diagrams now this morning and though a bit fuzzy and hard to see well, it appears this wide bronze friction ring is on the Light Twelve? The Magnum friction ring kit seems to have thinner bronze bushings, but again it's hard to see on the diagram I'm looking at online. These must have been the narrower bronze rings I was seeing.

The steel friction ring is missing (not placed below the recoil spring as recommended), so this gun was set up for light loads correct? This makes sense as my Uncle was a dove hunter.
  4. jcs266

jcs266 .22LR

DOH!! OK blame it on a total Noob here, I found a clearer diagram and I was apparently looking at Magnum bronze rings - narrower!

Learning new things about the A-5 every day :)
  5. Setters4life

Setters4life .270 WIN

6. SHOOTER13

SHOOTER13 Guest

Good point....