7mm

Discussion in 'Browning BAR Rifle' started by jbchapa, Jan 27, 2014.

1. jbchapa

jbchapa Copper BB

Looking into getting the BAR longtrac in a 7mm. Was reading some reviews an most were saying that the accuracy wasn't the best. Seeing if someone has any better experiences?
  2. Billythekid

Billythekid Administrator Staff Member Administrator

Hey jbchapa, welcome to the browning owners community!!! Don't personally own a BAR so not sure I would be of much help. What do you plan to use the BAR for?
  3. Gottling

Gottling Copper BB

@jbchapa, accuracy is as good as a regular repeter rifle, the catch with semiautomatic guns like the bar is in my own opinion, the trigger and that it takes juuuust a little bit longer from that u press the trigger until the bullet leave the barrel due to the slightly more mechanical parts moving in semiautomatic. If you think of it like this. 0,5mm movement in the gun in your hands makes a huge movement of bullet impact at 100y.. With some training and resolve when shooting.. The accuracy is more then enough.

Just my thoughts, been shooting bar for 8 years along with other guns. Still got one and won't trade it for the world..

Sent from my Xperia Z1 out hunting..
  4. jbchapa

jbchapa Copper BB

I planned on using it for whitetail hunting. I own a sako A7 now an have been pretty happy with the accuracy, but would like a newer an nicer looking rifle. Would like to keep the accuracy around the same range as my A7.

Yes sir I totally understand where your coming from about the trigger pull. Do u know if the trigger pull is adjustable?
  5. SHOOTER13

SHOOTER13 Guest

Welcome to the Browning Owners Forum jbchapa !!
  6. psient

psient .22LR

Welcome to the forum jbchapa! This is the onlyplace for those of us that have a vital interest in the BAR models. I don't own one yet so like Billy, don't know what to say personally. The only thing about accuracy I've heard; the rifle is extremely accurate out of the box and the BOSS improves that!

Hope to read more about what you find out!
  7. 10ring1

10ring1 Copper BB

Would have owned one but seem a bit on the heavy side. JMO
  8. Stan T

Stan T Copper BB

Have a Safari Mk II in 7mm Remington Magnum, non boss. With open sights and factory Remington ammunition I can get 1.5-2 inch 3 shot groups at 100yrds. Going to reload for it soon and setting her up with a Leupold VX-R. Will update once she is scoped.
  9. SHOOTER13

SHOOTER13 Guest

Sounds good Stan...
    Thom308 likes this.
  10. Thom308

Thom308 Copper BB

I just got a bar 7 millimeter Magnum last year, haven't shot it a lot but with a Burris 3x9x40 shooting Hornaday 150 grain ballistic tip I'm getting sub MOA at 200 yards. would like to do some trigger work to it, just need to find a good gunsmith in my area.
  11. SHOOTER13

SHOOTER13 Guest

What state are you located in Thom !?
  12. Thom308

Thom308 Copper BB

Im in Dallas GA.
  13. SHOOTER13

SHOOTER13 Guest

14. talkinghorse

talkinghorse .22LR

I had a Short Trac in .308 that I bought for deer hunting, but I found the accuracy to be unacceptable.

I bought the gun new a couple years ago, installed a nice set of Talley Lightweight mounts and a Zeiss Terra 3X 3x9x42 scope. Nice package. The rifle was very pleasant to shoot but I found it to be very inaccurate. I tried several types of ammunition (all factory loads) and 150 gr Winchester Powerpoints seemed to work the best. There were times when I was getting 4"- 5" groups at 100 yds. All screws, mounts, etc were tight and my range shooting was done from a Lead Sled. I get much better groups with my Marlin 30-30, not to mention MOA or better from my bolt-guns.

I also have a BOSS-equipped BAR Safari MK-II in 7mm-Rem Mag and it's awesome by comparison to the Short Trac. Pick your ammo and then dial it in with the BOSS. Sub MOA groups with factory ammo is not an issue for this rifle.

Like most of us, I have high standards when it comes to this stuff and I just didn't trust the Short Trac beyond 100 yds. So I recently parted with the ShortTrac and bought a Steyr Pro Hunter.

Based on my experience with the Short Trac, your A7 will probably be more accurate. And no, the trigger pull on the Short Trac/Long Trac is not user-adjustable.
    Last edited: Mar 11, 2015
  15. MZ5

MZ5 .270 WIN

My ShorTrac Hog Stalker is very precise. I quite like it! The trigger group (it's a modular unit assembly) can be smoothed up by Short Action Customs. I just sent mine to them to thread the barrel for a brake and suppressor. They do high-quality work. It turns out that they did not need to smooth my trigger group, and they were professional enough to tell me that rather than take my money for no benefit.

Note: SAC is a company whom I believe approaches fire control properly. In this case, that means they will not reduce sear engagement. Their position has been (when I've spoken with them) that the nature of an autoloader, and particularly a hunting rifle, is that it would be unwise from a safety standpoint to reduce sear engagement. They will smooth things up, though, which will reduce pull weight to something in the 2-2.75 lbs area. Think about it before you do this. That is not much pull weight, and some people would not be well served by that pull weight in a hunting rifle, IMO.

Good luck to you!