6.5 Creedmoor bullet for loading-hunting

Discussion in 'Browning X-Bolt Rifle' started by wafiwhacker, Mar 31, 2018.

1. wafiwhacker

wafiwhacker .22LR

I have a Browning X-Bolt Hell’s Canyon that I’ve shot with Hornady ELDX Match 140gr out to 1000 yards. 500 is easy with this rifle.
    I loaded ELDX (not match obviously) in my 270WSM last year and I have to say I was really disappointed in its kill capacity. Super accurate but not a LR one shot bullet.
    For the 6.5CM, I decided to try loading Hornady SST 140gr bullets. I couldn’t get them to group worth a darn in my rifle 2” @ 100). Powder was RL-17, tried Fed and CCI primers at the best grouping load (40.4gr) but no bueno.
    Anyone who reloads have a bullet/powder suggestion? I’ve had great success with the powder but I won’t disregard changing.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  2. Wazizit

Wazizit .22LR

The ELD-X 143's are good to about 400yrd's I've found. Hornady brass neck trimmed to .013", 41.2gr of H4350 For one shot knock down in my 65CM the Berger Classic Hunter 135gr 42.9gr H4350 (3.204 b/o, 2.850 aol) is the only bullet to hold 2" groups at 800yrd's. Around 2780fps with one thousandths neck tension. I gained 100fps with a 1/2 thousandths neck tension but my grouping suffered for some reason. It's what I use for hogs and mountain lion here on the ranch and according to midway is a big game bullet. I tried the 140gr Berger Elite Hunter and several others but could only get a 5" group at 800yrd's. For smaller game I use the Hornady 129SST (42.3gr H4350, 3.168 b/o) they shoot real flat and coyotes drop without taking a step. Hopefully my RL26 powder comes in soon so I can start some work up with it. For now I'm happy with H4350. For target and fun I use the ELD-M 140gr when it's hot (70 degrees and up) and 147gr when it's cold. It takes 2 minutes in between shots with a barrel cooler to use the 147's
  3. Wazizit

Wazizit .22LR

Forgot to say I use Fed 210M's but I might be getting better groups with CCI BR2's. With my bad wind calls I can't be sure just a feeling.
  4. I own more Model 70 Winchester’s than I do X Bolts, but the two Browning’s I do have are unbelievably accurate. They though are .243. Everything I have shot in them is 1/2 inch groups with a Caldwell lead sled. At 100 yards. I have sighted mine in at 400 yards as well, nice nice tight groups with any ammo I have tried. I still don’t own a 6.5 Creedmore but everywhere I go it is rated as incredibly accurate and not all that critical for ammo types. If Model 70 FWT SS was available yet I’d own that caliber. In fact Browning rates the 6.5 they have made as super accurate. The Hells Canyon X Bolt I do not own. It is a nice and affordable rifle and is handsome. I have a Browning C Bolt Maple Medalion I consider to be one of the finest rifles I ever handled. Again .243.