Range time

Discussion in 'Browning BLR Rifle' started by cavmedic, May 23, 2016.

1. cavmedic

cavmedic Guest

Took my BLR out to the range after getting a Neil Jones trigger job. Had good success with my groups being around 1.5"-1.75". My hunting ammo is 150gr outback ammo swift scirocco and it shot just as well as the core lokt 180gr and the 150gr federal soft points.
    When taking the time to shoot it without heating up the barrel too much, this rifle shoots beautifully. Heck, even heated up its adequate for hunting.

[​IMG]

This is the outback ammo. The middle target and lower right had a poi shift from the trigger job. I adjusted and shot the two groups on the left. (Top left was rushed a bit, due to the range officer sounding his two minute limit warning)

[​IMG]

Some of the federal soft points in 150gr

[​IMG]
    Some more federal soft points.

[​IMG]

And this is the core lokt without letting the barrel cool. The normal cooling core lokt results are the same as the soft points. I figured I'd show you how the groups look when I shoot without cooling. Still decent for hunting but significantly more open.
    Planetcat and SHOOTER13 like this.
  2. SHOOTER13

SHOOTER13 Guest

Looks like the trigger job worked out...
    cavmedic likes this.
  3. BrShooter

BrShooter .410

So what distance is this? I have a BLR and at 100 yards I have them all over the place. I am blaming it on the cheep ammo I picked up. Now I have some brass I have loaded up some Hornady A- Max and hope to try them soon. I hope I get close to the groups you are getting.
  4. cavmedic

cavmedic Guest

This is at 100 yards. I have tried about 14 different types of ammo. Very few were actually bad and these are actually the cheapest ones I've bought ($20 a box). They shoot great.

There are a few things I've noticed about shooting the BLR. If you bench rest shoot, you need to be pretty high up so the lever racking doesn't impede your sight picture when shooting. That way you can keep your cheek to the stock. Also, the front rest needs to be as close to the receiver as comfortably possible...not closer to the muzzle.
    The trigger has some creep in it but I got a Neil Jones triggers job and it's beautiful now. That took off about 1/2". I also noticed that for me, keeping the non trigger hand on the forearm and not around the rear sand bag (more of a field like position) kept my groups tight.
    Lastly, do not let the barrel heat up. Take 3 shots then wait till you can put your hand on the barrel for 10 seconds. This will keep them from spreading.

Hope this helps.
    SHOOTER13 likes this.
  5. BrShooter

BrShooter .410

Thanks, these are the pointers I need. I know that the barrel gets real hot after a few shots and as small as it is I am sure that this will affect it. I would let it cool but did not know how long or how cool it needs to be. I held it on the rest different ways and was not sure how that was effecting it. I know that I had it resting half way on the forearm. I will move or close to the receiver next time. I hope I can get it out in on the next few weeks.
    cavmedic likes this.
  6. cavmedic

cavmedic Guest

Let us know how it goes when you do.
  7. BrShooter

BrShooter .410

I will, it may be a couple weeks before I can get to the range.
  8. BrShooter

BrShooter .410

I thought it was going to be a while before I could make it to the range but I had some time today and was able to go.
    Took 4 loads, 5 rounds each that I had worked up to try. The bullets are Hornady 168gr A- Max over cfe223.

This is 41gr
    [​IMG]

This is 42gr
    [​IMG]

This is 43gr
    [​IMG]

And this is 44gr
    [​IMG]

These last two are 147gr PMC FMJ
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

I have chronograph results for all the loads if you are interested. Just let me know and I can post them too.
  9. cavmedic

cavmedic Guest

Looks like that 42gr is the sweet spot. Very nice groups. What distance are you shooting at?
    No need on the chrono results as I don't reload yet. It's on the horizon though.
  10. BrShooter

BrShooter .410

Thanks, I put it on the rest close to the receiver and held it like you suggested. This is at 100yds. I agree, 42gr looks like the sweet spot. It just really amazes me on how tight it was. I was even happy at the 41gr results. I will now work up some finer loads between 41gr and 43gr. I am just not sure what intervals I should try.
  11. cavmedic

cavmedic Guest

I'm jealous of your groups! I haven't broken 1" consistently yet. I'm at about 1.25".

I need to start hand loading :/
  12. BrShooter

BrShooter .410

I started about 3 years ago and I really enjoy it. I have learned so much more about ammo and guns. I can't really say it is saving me any money because I am always finding something new to add to the reloading bench. 308 cost me about $.40 each to load and most of that cost is the projectile. Once I get some loaded up I look forward to "unloading" so I have some brass to load.
  13. cavmedic

cavmedic Guest

I really wish there were decent gunsmiths down here in south Florida. There literally is no one here who can rebarrel or develop loads for you. I would have someone make me bullets for my BLR real quick.

Like a good butcher or old time barber shop, the knowledgable and well rounded gunsmith doesn't exist.
  14. BrShooter

BrShooter .410

Looks like as much as you shoot, it would be worth it to load your own.
  15. BrShooter

BrShooter .410

Just posted a range report for my BLR in the range report section.
  16. BrShooter

BrShooter .410

Mine has a barrel band. Are there BLRs that don't have a barrel band?
  17. MZ5

MZ5 .270 WIN

Yes. All the pistol-grip BLRs lack a barrel band.