3 shot Stealth Sweet 16

Discussion in 'Browning Auto A-5' started by win7stw, Oct 27, 2020.

1. win7stw

win7stw .30-06

I wonder if Marcs 39 is like this
  2. Biz

Biz 20g

I don’t know, I shall check this weekend. To busy now, getting ready for geese tomorrow at 4 a.m.
  3. win7stw

win7stw .30-06

Good luck Marc. Post some photos
  4. win7stw

win7stw .30-06

I just reassembled the 3 shot after its deep cleaning. The ultrasonic is a game changer for cleaning IMO. The action on this gun is slick. I’ll take it out Sunday to murder some birds
  5. win7stw

win7stw .30-06

I think I figured out the long retainer. The mag tube will hole four 65mm shells. With the long retainer installed it acts as a plug. The retainer hits the follower taking up the space for the 4th shell. Kind of neat if you ask me
  6. win7stw

win7stw .30-06

I can’t stand the look of the silver part of the barrel extension so I fit one of my forearm spacer to push the barrel back. Since the barrel wasn’t ground out for the 2-3/4 conversion I am debating installing an unmodified link on the bolt. Would also like to put a fixed ejector on the barrel.

I might get a letter on this one. The LOP is short and I am wondering if it came that way. It has the horn plate and the curve is perfect. Debating refinishing the stock and putting a red pad on it. The forearm crack will be easy to fix but it should be soaked in acetone so it would need to be refinished too.

It has also been opened up from full to modified as there is another asterisk stamped on it that is smaller. I wonder if Browning did the conversion and choke work.

Or do I just leave it alone? Thoughts?
  7. win7stw

win7stw .30-06

Another reason I put the spacer in was the bolt handle was contacting the the front of the ejection port
  8. Ranger6

Ranger6 Administrator Staff Member Administrator Global Moderator Forum Moderator

Personally if it were me I would get a barrel that you can put chokes in or have that one done. The silver part drives me crazy also. Don’t remember if you said the serial numbers match or not? If not then it don’t matter. If it does then find another barrel. My old ones have short stocks, hard to tell what really happened. The only way I know for sure is get a letter, and not sure LOP will be stated. I think pads were an option at some time, but back then guns were used to put food on the table and you know that recoil don’t matter when making a shot at game. The excitement of a kill makes you forget about all that shit. Your like me and will never sell them, so I say make it what you want. Don’t think our fame to fortune will be selling old A5’s. Even though I’m seeing A5’s go for 1500-2000 now. Maybe I don’t know what’s going on here.
  9. Rudolph31

Rudolph31 .30-06

You’re gun has been modified, and it can never be unmodified. Throwing away the ability to shoot standard shells gains you nothing.

After hunting season I would send it to Art’s. He can check to see that the alteration was done right. He also can re-blue the barrel, or you can use some cold blue. If I didn’t know you were a wizard with wood I’d suggest he fix the stock too.
  10. Biz

Biz 20g

Here we go, mine has a broom handle as a plug. Obviously, the 3 shot are a 4 shot with a plug. Mine had probably the same device as Justin but somewhere along the way it was lost.
    9A2F2B73-519A-426C-8A86-F061B24E8127.jpeg
  11. win7stw

win7stw .30-06

Well I took it hunting today and it functions just fine with the spacer on the forearm. I am pretty happy with a mod barrel for upland. I have a cylinder, IC, and a full I can rob off other guns if need be.
  12. win7stw

win7stw .30-06

I might send it to him. If I do it’s getting a complete redo even though it’s probably not worth it.
  13. win7stw

win7stw .30-06

That’s too bad yours doesn’t have it. However I like the broom handle. How did goose hunting go?
  14. win7stw

win7stw .30-06

The forecast was looking too good to go to work today. So I took my kids to school and daycare. It’s nice to see the little guys in the morning for once. Anyway after that I took the 3 shot and a box of my roll crimped paper shells. I shot 4 birds and then went into a slump. I missed a few that the dogs had worked perfectly. Solid points followed by a lot of missing. Then my young dog went on a tear and found a ton of birds. I connected on my first shot on the last two. I actually shot two mature birds today too.
    [​IMG]
  15. Ranger6

Ranger6 Administrator Staff Member Administrator Global Moderator Forum Moderator

Very nice. Good deal to take the kiddos to school also. I do the same with mine. Just something about dad taking them to school. Savor the moment my friend, they are gone in the blink of an eye. Glad to hear the papers are working out.
  16. Biz

Biz 20g

They were no geese at all. My two companions and I, we were like three turkeys in a blind. On of them, a kid, had a Baikal semi auto shotgun, he took him 20 minutes to understand how to load that piece of junk. He was in awe of my nice 3 inches magnum. I told him, "I hope you see the light".
    To come back to the three shoot, I was wondering why they have a three shells magazine with a plug that limit the magazine at two shells. My theory is, a two shells magazine will have a very short forearm and the shotgun will look unbalanced. What do you guys think?
  17. Rudolph31

Rudolph31 .30-06

I have always thought the 3-Shot’s magazine held only two shells. Now we find that Justin’s holds four. If that’s correct, it’s no different than a standard Auto-5.
  18. win7stw

win7stw .30-06

That was a typo. My mag tube holds three
    Rudolph31 likes this.
  19. win7stw

win7stw .30-06

[​IMG]
    The stock on my 3 shot had been shortened but it had the curve put back in it with the horn plate. It was too short for me so I ground it flat and ground a pachmayr pad to fit. I put my second coat of finish on this morning. I’m sure some won’t like it but there’s something about a red recoil pad on a vintage gun that I really like.
  20. Ranger6

When it’s to short not many options. Pad looks good and now it’s usable for you.