20 round Magazine for Browning Bar shorttrac .308?

Discussion in 'Browning BAR Rifle' started by Mymaximus2020, Mar 29, 2017.

1. Mymaximus2020

Mymaximus2020 Copper BB

Hi,

I just bought a Browning Bar MK3 HC Tracker Composite .308..
    I didn´t want the Bar Match due to the weight.. but I still want the possibillity for a 20 round magazine..

So now I´m investigating the possibillity for a "Magazine adapter" (any better word for it?)...
    And i just heard that "Magazine adapters" work only on longtracs but not on shorttracs..

Also it is not "possible" from a economical point of view to make a "Magazine adapter" to a shorttrac becuse you´ll have to rebuild large part of the rifle (to large..) ..

Anyone has any idea or knowledge how to buy or make a "Magazine adapter" for a .308 shorttrac?

Here´s the webbpage with the "Magazine adapter" for longtrac..
    http://fksport.se/sv/reservdelar-vapen/browning/magasinsbrunn-till-browning-bar-match
  2. SHOOTER13

SHOOTER13 Guest

Nope...sorry.

Maybe some other member here will weigh in...be patient.
  3. MZ5

MZ5 .270 WIN

I didn't know those items were available anywhere. That's pretty cool!
    That's the piece of metal built into the bottom of the rifle called the FN FNAR, and the Browning BAR (Short Trac) Hog Stalker in the American market. I just sold mine. I know of no source for that part anywhere on this continent.

I have read from several internet postings that there is only one action length for the BAR at present; the Long Trac. Those postings generally say that the Short Trac is simply a Long Trac with a block in the magazine or possibly a bolt carrier stop. I have no idea whether that is true or false, nor do I know whether more than one person has made that claim, or if it has just been repeated. The one post I've seen said that a Browning USA employee told the person this. That may be, but I have experienced a number of times when Browning USA has made mistakes in what they've told me, so even at that I would not trust the claim until I measured a couple of receivers for myself, or found the bolt carrier stop or something. I suppose it is also possible that this is true now, but was not true in the past.

I never measured the receiver length of my Short Trac BAR Hog Stalker (nor an FNAR), but I can do so before I ship it off to its new owner, if you'd like me to. I don't know whether that would help you at all with what you're trying to do, but post back if it would and I'll try to take some measurements for you.
  4. Mymaximus2020

Mymaximus2020 Copper BB

Hi,
    Thank you for your offer but i don´t Think it will help me right now.. I got a old longtrac and waiting for my shorttrac.. so i´ll start by comparing them..