1971 Belgian BAR 30-06 Scope Options

Discussion in 'Browning BAR Rifle' started by Jesse B, Jan 29, 2016.

1. Jesse B

Jesse B Copper BB

I recently inherited my grandfathers rifles, including this 71' Belgian BAR 30-06. Unfortunately, my aunt was the care taker of the rifles up until I could get them, so they were not stored in the best environment and were forgotten for a long time. It currently has a 70's 4X Redfield mounted; however, the scope needs to be replaced because after 20+ years in storage it has fogged. What scope options should I consider? Also, are the rings/bases factory Browning parts?

The rifle will be used to hunt whitetail. I have shot it and it functions perfectly. Such a smooth shooting rifle...

Thanks for any input.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Jan 29, 2016
  2. Hairtrigger

Hairtrigger .270 WIN

Depends on your needs and how you will be using the rifle
    I doubt they are Browning rings and bases... Don't think Browning put their name on them back then
    A quality 3-9X scope should be perfect using the existing rings
  3. krimmie

krimmie Copper BB

Depending on you budget, you could mount a new Redfield on that BAR. The Revolution is made is Oregon, and has a lifetime warranty...decent scope for under $200.
  4. Jesse B

Jesse B Copper BB

I ended up getting a used Leupold VX-3 3.5-10X40 for the rifle. Will post pics when its mounted up
  5. SHOOTER13

SHOOTER13 Guest

That's a nice scope...!
  6. Jesse B

Jesse B Copper BB

I was able to get the VX3 mounted in the original rings and it sits very nicely. I am really liking the setup and cannot wait to sight her in.

Also threw in a pic of the Winnchester 100 mag I won on ebay. I had been trying to lock one down for months and finally got a deal on one. It hasn't been a cheap week o_O

Attached Files: