1967? Browning BAR .308

Discussion in 'Browning BAR Rifle' started by Caper1, Oct 22, 2015.

1. Caper1

Caper1 Copper BB

Hi guy's, I'm a newbie and was hoping someone could give me an answer about my rifle. I've been searching the last few days but can't find anything that would point me towards this rifle. Here's my story. I lost my cherry last Saturday and finally bought a Browning. I went to a gun show and picked up a Browning BAR in .308. I paid $650 Canadian. When I got it home, I tried to find the year of manufacture by running the serial number on the Browning website but the number didn't fall into any of the categories. The following day I called the head office of Browning down in the states. They couldn't find anything in their U.S. or Canadian data bank but what she said was it looked like it was a very early model made for the European market. The following day I took it to my gun dealer that has a friend that collects guns. It took him all of fifteen minutes to tell me my rifle is a grade 11 1967 pre-production model, but he never told me how he got to that conclusion. The markings and scroll work on the receiver are of a gazelle, not the later pronghorn. There's scroll work on the magazine floor plate and trigger guard. There's also "Patent pending" on the barrel as well as "Made in Belgium. The serial number i xxx1M750. Here's a picture of it. Any help would be appreciated. Thanking you in advance.

Attached Files:

2. SHOOTER13

SHOOTER13 Guest

Sounds unique...!

I will wait for the experts here to weigh in on it's origins....
  3. Rudolph31

Rudolph31 .30-06

I'm not expert on the BAR, but I do know a little something about Browning's serial numbering. Starting in 1958 they used a single digit to indicate the year of manufacture, followed by the model code. A 1958 Light Twelve would be marked 8Gxxxx, the same gun in 1963 3Gxxxx. This worked up through 1967. Starting in 1968 Browning used 2 digits, so that A5 would be 68Gxxxx. The system changed radically in 1976. According to this source--

http://www.nramuseum.org/media/940941/serialization-date of manufacture.pdf

--Browning used a similar system for the BAR, except the model and date codes appear at the end of the serial number. Your gun doesn't fit the profile. A single "7" would indicate 1967. "75" 1975. But "750" is off the chart. Your friend may be right, but you'll have to ask him what his source was.
  4. SHOOTER13

SHOOTER13 Guest

Good call Rudolph...some serialization methods don't necessarily follow convention.
  5. Caper1

Caper1 Copper BB

Thank you all for the reply's, I'm still trying to figure out it's story. But in the meantime, here's a picture of it.

Attached Files:

6. SHOOTER13

SHOOTER13 Guest

Good looking rifle...

What scope is on top....!?
  7. Hairtrigger

Hairtrigger .270 WIN

http://www.browning.com/customerservice/dategun/detail.asp?id=18
    I have a Belgium made BAR in 308 that has M69 ending for the SN. I love this rifle and used it as a Backup Elk rifle the last few years.
    By the link above from Browning's website you should get the correct date

BTW the link should be a sticky at the top of the forums
  8. Caper1

Caper1 Copper BB

Thanks Shooter 13, I like it a lot. I finally got it out to the range a couple of days ago and it works flawlessly. The scope in the picture is the one that was on it when I bought it, a 3-9x40 Tasco. I swapped it out for a Bushnell trophy xlt 4-12x40. Not sure if I like it though so I may try something else. I have a Bushnell Elite 4200, 3-9x40 on my Remington 725 in 30-06 and I like that one.
  9. Caper1

Caper1 Copper BB

Hi Hairtrigger, thanks for the reply. I can see how you love your rifle, I'm really liking this one. Got it out to the range a couple of days ago and it functioned flawlessly. The problem I'm having is that the serial number on my rifle isn't falling into any of the criteria of the Browning serial numbers. Here is the serial number in it's entirety; 0001M750. I've been researching as much as I can but I've hit a wall with what I've found out.
  10. Hairtrigger

Hairtrigger .270 WIN

The first time I went through the Browning Museum in Odgen Utah my guide was a retired Engineer from Browning later Winchester. I wonder if the Museum would be of any help to you?
  11. Caper1

Caper1 Copper BB

Thanks for that, I'm gonna look them up and see if they can help me figure this out.
  12. Hairtrigger

Hairtrigger .270 WIN

It is a way cool trip
    If you get a chance, MAKE THE PILGRIMAGE
  13. Caper1

Caper1 Copper BB

I can imagine, is live to see it but I'm from Cape Breton, Nova Scotia, it'd be an expensive trek to make. I emailed the historian at the museum last night and gave him the info I have on it, I'm hoping he can tell me a bit more about it. Again, I thank you for giving me this lead, I'll let you know what he says.
  14. SHOOTER13

SHOOTER13 Guest

Looking forward to his reply...
  15. Hairtrigger

Hairtrigger .270 WIN

Keep us informed please
  16. Willythickfoot

Willythickfoot Copper BB

Hi guys, New guy here. Hairtrigger, my Browning is also 308 with a number ending M69. Complete number is 82161M69 and I can't figure out the date. If anyone can shed some light on this I would be grateful. Thanks
  17. SHOOTER13

SHOOTER13 Guest

Welcome to the Browning Owners Forum !!

Please introduce yourself tour community via the New Member Welcome Area...

Enjoy the forum.
  18. Hairtrigger

Hairtrigger .270 WIN

M9= 1969.
    Cabelas in Dundee MI just sold a 1968 with older Leupold (308). For $650. Bargain price was there less than a week

19. mwertman

mwertman Copper BB

I've got a 1967 plain-jane BAR chambered in .300 Win Mag. What is the significance of the "Patent pending" on the barrel, more desirable? I'd appreciate any info anyone may care to offer.