1925 16 Ga Browning Auto 5

Discussion in 'Browning Auto A-5' started by HeyHey, Feb 28, 2015.

1. HeyHey

HeyHey .22LR

I recently purchased this 1925 16 ga. It has been converted to 2 3/4 by someone. It has a 2 3/4 in stamp on the barrel so I am assuming it is a Browning factory convert. The questions I have are: the barrel and the receiver have serial numbers that are exactly 1000 difference. I can't think of any reason for this. The stock has been repaired in the past as you can see by the picture and I have been thinking about sending it to Art to let him work his magic. I don't know if this will increase or decrease the value. I'm not really looking for a collectors item but, if it should be left alone and original then that is what I want to do. Either way I am going to shoot a lot of shells though it and enjoy it for what John intended it for. I will now try to upload pictures.
  2. Rudolph31

Rudolph31 .30-06

With a replacement barrel your shotgun is not original already. If you send it to Art's he'll send it back looking brand new. If you plan to keep it, it's worth it.
  3. HeyHey

HeyHey .22LR

That's kinda what I figured. Any guess as to why the barrel is only one number off the receiver? Is it a replacement or a misprint? Or did Browning add the serial to the barrel when they converted it to 2 3/4?
  4. Rudolph31

Rudolph31 .30-06

It's a mystery, although the number on the barrel ring seems to be an over stamp of something else. I'm sure that Browning wouldn't change the number. Could be just a coincidence.
    I see that you have an "Acier Special" barrel. Guns for the U.S. market were marked "Special Steel" and have Browning's Ogden address. What does your barrel say?
  5. HeyHey

HeyHey .22LR

6. HeyHey

HeyHey .22LR

7. HeyHey

HeyHey .22LR

8. HeyHey

HeyHey .22LR

9. HeyHey

HeyHey .22LR

10. HeyHey

HeyHey .22LR

11. HeyHey

HeyHey .22LR

12. HeyHey

HeyHey .22LR

13. HeyHey

HeyHey .22LR

14. HeyHey

HeyHey .22LR

15. HeyHey

HeyHey .22LR

16. HeyHey

HeyHey .22LR

17. HeyHey

HeyHey .22LR

18. HeyHey

HeyHey .22LR

19. HeyHey

HeyHey .22LR

20. HeyHey

HeyHey .22LR

Yes it say's Acier Special on the barrel. Does that mean that it is an overseas model? What would that do for the collect ability/value? I don't really care because I'm going to be using it as a shooter but, I just like to know what I have.