1911-380 Problem! Please help thanks!

Discussion in 'Browning 1911 - 380 Handgun' started by JasonBrowning, Jun 11, 2019.

1. Ranger6

Ranger6 Administrator Staff Member Administrator Global Moderator Forum Moderator

Gents I am glad to see this section making some good headway. I appreciate you guys sharing information and fixes. Thats what this forum is all about. We have a lot of new members showing up and it is things like this, that make people want to be apart and then stick around after their stuff is fixed. My hats off to you guys. You guys make my job a little easier when there are a good group of people having discussions. Thank you.
    wkrp4me and KyBoB like this.
  2. Alpha1

Alpha1 .22LR

Wow. Thanks so very much. Results will forwarded to you as soon as I get back from the range. I took photos of how I made the changes and I'll post those two.
  3. Alpha1

Alpha1 .22LR

I did not do a very good jog in responding your question. The slide lock is operational with or without the mag in. So Monday is the best test day and I will post the results as soon as I get back including some "how to" photos.
  4. Alpha1

Alpha1 .22LR

I modified 4 mag getting rig of the spring loop. I sent photos previously of the mags. So went to the range to see how four rework mags would work. My shooting procedure is to pull and lock the slide back, then load the mag. The reason is to see if the first round is placed properly on the ramp. I fired about 100 rounds using Fiocchi, American Eagle, Remington, PMC Bronze. All ammo worked perfectly except the PMC. Spoke with others at the range and no one liked the PMC. Now I am not sure why the stuff does not work, but I just will not buy the stuff. My mag mods were to disassemble making note which way the spring came out. Make sure it goes back the same way. I cut the top coil back and I will provide photo at end. The followers were place in a vice with the base of the follower level and filled with epoxy so that the inside level is flat. Be sure to tape over the hole where the spring loop use to be. If any resin leaks out just use some 400 wet/dry to polish it up. I wipe a small amount to gun oil the surfaces except where the cartridge goes then I wipe it off . I think it is also a good idea to close up the "wings" on the mags to about .310. The only problem I had today was the receiver would not lock up after the last round, but I know why. Then I disassembled the 380 I found the recoil buffer pad had move onto several coils messing up the full recoil. I had installed a full length recoil rod with the buffer pads that came with it. Now I should know better having gone through all this once before with my Springfield match grade 45. Guess I am a slow learner. My advice is to forget the full length guide rod (there is no real advantage), ands consider the recoil buffer pads as evil. At this point I am very happy with my 380 (finally), but avoid using PMC. And the recoil rod is all back to stock. So...with just a bit of effort and just pennies for one of those epoxy kits, you can have a really neat 380. IMG_0718.jpeg
  5. wkrp4me

wkrp4me .410

10-4
    Can’t work on mine until Thursday but very encouraging….Thanks again!
    :thanks:
  6. wkrp4me

wkrp4me .410

Just a curiosity, but…..all 4 of those cartridges are (I think) FMJ RN. my efforts so far have shown that FMJ RN has a much lower failure rate for either of our guns than any of the FMJ RNFP like Winchester, Sig , and some others. If you get a chance to try some FMJ RNFP, please let me know if you see a difference.
  7. Alpha1

Alpha1 .22LR

I will be traveling for several weeks so my next trials are in mid October. I did some measurement with my precision calipers and found essentially no difference between Fiocchi and PMC. I think I need to rerun the tests just to make sure I did not screw up somewhere. Will "talk" soon. Too bad the factory makes a great gun with a horrible mag. I sort of wonder if they actually produce the mag.
  8. wkrp4me

wkrp4me .410

Thanks. I will be shooting Fiocchi and PMC tomorrow for first time. My measurements are a long way from being “lab certified”, just a manual set of digital caliper on the kitchen bar, but I think the Fiocchi is longer than the PMC. I have looked at cartridge length and shape since my first days of fail to feed. I am including the data I have collected. I just pick first 4 cartridges from a box and measure OAL. I’m fairly confident that my data is accurate enough to show trends, but far from statistically valid (and I don’t intend to ever measure enough to get there either).
    In the spreadsheet, darker green means the fewest % of issues, black indicates so many issues I gave up on that brand for now
    At this point I think the geometry of the bullet is more important than length. One additional thing, after comparing the knife edge unbroken machined edge of my Browning feed ramp to my S&W, Springfield, and Ruger 9 mm very smooth edged ramps, I have smoothed the edges and there is no long a shape edge at the bottom of the ramp. There is some chance that the copper coating was hanging on that edge, although that would still indicate that the magazine did not present the cartridge properly.
    Still working on first epoxy filled Mag.
    OK, for some reason I can not upload an excel file here…whatever, I find a way to get that data uploaded but the avg OAL for Fiocchi was 0.964” compared to 0.974” for PMC. American Eagle avg 0.970”.
  9. wkrp4me

wkrp4me .410

Just an FYI, photo of spreadsheet and calipers. IMG_1020.JPG IMG_1020.JPG IMG_1021.JPG
  10. Alpha1

Alpha1 .22LR

For Fiocchi I measure .966. For PMC .971. For American Eagle .966. My measurements are very slightly different but so small they should all function in the 380. When I first received the 380 I very carefully polished the ramp and removed a slight burr on the underside of the ramp. I use conical buffing wheels on a few shaft with a variable speed motor. Same set up I have used all of my guns. I believe the configuration of the factory mag makes it difficult to get the proper bullet presentation. Once I made the change to 4 of my mags, the 380 was a a gun that worked every time.