1911 380 Jamming

Discussion in 'Browning 1911 - 380 Handgun' started by Soonerbelle, Feb 7, 2018.

1. Soonerbelle

Soonerbelle Copper BB

I bought myself my first gun in late December, however it has rarely worked properly. In my avatar picture (it won't let me upload another), you can see that after shooting, the casing won't eject and the next round is holding it in place. It will shoot sometimes, even a whole mag. But it's few and far between. I took it to a Browning shop and they said it had burs in the slide and once fixed they put 2 mags through it. Took it to the range the day after picking it up, and it jammed on round 3 and every round after that. Has anyone else had this issue and fixed it? I'd love to try before sending it in to Browning. Thanks!
    SHOOTER13 likes this.
  2. SHOOTER13

SHOOTER13 Guest

Welcome...

I will defer you to the membership for replies...
    Last edited by a moderator: Feb 7, 2018
    Soonerbelle likes this.
  3. MutinousDoug

MutinousDoug .22LR

Your pic indicates a failure of the extractor to do its job of grabbing the rim of the spent case and pulling it free of the chamber as the slide recoils. I'd 1st suspect an extractor in need of tuning or possibly a rough chamber causing the extractor to lose its grip on the case. Unless you're intimate with the function of a 1911 and comfortable with diagnosing and tweeking; I'd recommend a call to Browning, especially as the gun is fairly new, they will take care of you.
    Soonerbelle likes this.
  4. Soonerbelle

Soonerbelle Copper BB

Thanks Doug, that's exactly what I thought! Everyone keeps telling me it just needs to be broken in, but when its getting worse after 300+ rounds, that can't be it. But shop explicitly said it wasn't the extractor. Browning said I had to go there first and then if they couldn't fix it, I was to contact them again. Guess its time to go online and fill out some Browning RMA/Service paperwork!
  5. cavelamb

cavelamb .22LR

First things first.
    The magazine lips usually cause this problem.
    Other threads here...
    Soonerbelle likes this.
  6. Soonerbelle

Soonerbelle Copper BB

Thanks cavelamb! I did try mags from a functional piece at the range, as this thought had crossed my mind. But to no avail...
  7. MutinousDoug

MutinousDoug .22LR

Sigh,
    There is no way the top round in the magazine can extract a spent round in the chamber. The slide has to recoil at least the length of an extracted spent case for the top round to be released and then jamb the spent round back into the chamber. By that time, the extractor has long lost the spent case rim. If the case is left in the chamber, then of course, the top round in the magazine is free to release early if it is so inclined by a weak magazine spring or spread magazine lips. I don't think this is in evidence here.