1911-380 Internal Parts/Interchangeable/Availability

Discussion in 'Browning 1911 - 380 Handgun' started by Munanee, Feb 9, 2017.

1. Munanee

Munanee Copper BB

I am a new member and I have some questions I would like to find answers to. First, a little of my background: I am ex-military (and long retired). I have several Glocks that I love. They are simple and easy to work on. I have performed trigger jobs on all and completed several upgrades. Also, I have built a couple of 1911s from 80% frames (a government 45 APC, and a Commander 9mm with ramped barrel). Building full size 1911s comes with a lot of fitting and fiddling. At the moment, I am in the process of selling one of my Glock (G42), so I can purchase a Browning 1911-380 Black Label Medallion Stainless Full Size.

The answers I hope to get from some of the more experienced Browning 380 owners are:

(1) Where can I purchase internal parts (sears, disconnectors, threaded barrels, etc.)?

(2) How many of the internal parts are interchangeable with standard full size 1911s?

(3) Where can I find blueprints/plans, instructions for Browning 380s?

(4) I see no You Tube videos that show a complete disassembly down to the bare frame. There are dozens of disassembly videos for removing the slide and slide components (field strip for cleaning), but nothing further.

I have searched the internet until my head hurts, but have not found a lot of info on the new Browning 380s. Any info will be welcomed.
  2. drewzter

drewzter .22LR

I'll share what I do know and leave the rest to someone with a broader smithing background. I have full size 1911's also and have disassembled and done my own minor smithing. I have not yet found a source for the parts you describe. No parts that I am aware of are interchangeable with the full size gun. The function is very 1911 but the parts are all scaled down and the frame strip has minor differences including a roll pin in the thumb safety. I have not found blueprints or stripping instructions but I did see discussion of it in these forums. I would keep your 42 and buy the browning when you have cash. Member Socrates has a good post to refer to on Page 5 of the Troubleshooting thread for this gun.
    Last edited: Feb 9, 2017
  3. Munanee

Munanee Copper BB

Thanks drewzter, I was afraid the interchangeablity of parts would be a problem. Your sugestion to keep the G42 is certainly worth considering. Even though the 1911-380 is a real nice looking gun and the size makes it ideal for carry (over other 1911s). If others can't come up with a good enough reason, I will put the purchase off. Again thanks.
    Last edited: Feb 11, 2017