1903 Belgium a5

Discussion in 'Browning Auto A-5' started by Ranger6, Dec 12, 2018.

1. Ranger6

Ranger6 Administrator Staff Member Administrator Global Moderator Forum Moderator

Afternoon All
    I’m in search of some parts for my latest A5. Not sure it will be able to be put back in service(116 years old), however, it worth a shot. I’m looking for straight trigger plate, type 1. A magazine tube and cap, fine thread. And a cockerill steel barrel. Any help would be appreciated. I have quite a few A5 parts that I would be willing to trade or if money talks then cash it is. Please let me know what you have. Thanks again.
  2. Rudolph31

Rudolph31 .30-06

Good luck, Robert. You’ll be perusing eBay and gunbroker til your eyes glaze over.
  3. Ranger6

Ranger6 Administrator Staff Member Administrator Global Moderator Forum Moderator

Thank you sir. I’m putting 3 year time frame on this one. It’s pretty rough. I think the first step is to just make it a safe shooter and then go from there. Browning does have records on it and just the history is interesting. I know parts are going to be very hard to find. I do have a question that I’m sure you will know! There were only 2 different breach blocks used correct? The thin rail( as most call it) and then the later, thicker rail.
  4. Rudolph31

Rudolph31 .30-06

I disassembled my 1903 and documented the differences on this website. The biggest change was the Breech Block and the Locking Block, which use two rails. The thought of breaking these parts keeps me from firing this gun except on rare occasions.

Also, I don’t think the newer style parts will work with the original Barrel Extension.

[​IMG]
  5. Ranger6

Do you have anymore pictures of the breech block. Maybe a side view. Or did you already post it under another thread? I think the barrel is different, I will probably never find another barrel that’s that old anyway. I will be ok with using another barrel that I already have. Can’t really picture the 2 rails at the moment. Need to look at spare breech block.
  6. Ranger6

What’s you serial number on your 1903?
  7. Rudolph31

Rudolph31 .30-06

All the pictures and everything I know about first year guns is in the thread First Year Auto-5.
  8. Rudolph31

Rudolph31 .30-06

So, Robert, how goes the project?
  9. Ranger6

Decided it was to far gone, and missing to many parts. The bolt was the biggest issue. Called and talked to brad, and thought it would be better to find a more complete one. So the search continues. I did learn a lot more about the first A5’s, I really don’t understand people taking these fine guns apart and selling piece by piece.
  10. Rudolph31

Rudolph31 .30-06

What pieces do you have?
  11. Ranger6

None now. I passed on the deal. But it was missing bolt, trigger and stock. The stock could have been made and I have a type 2 trigger, which would have been ok but not period correct. The bolt on the hand was a whole different can of worms.