16 vs 20 ga Forearm question

Discussion in 'Browning Auto A-5' started by win7stw, Jun 30, 2019.

1. win7stw

win7stw .30-06

So I found a guy with two stocks for sale. Pretty sure I am going to buy both of them. He also has a forearm but he is unsure if it is for a 16 or 20 gauge. He said the barrel channel looks big on his 20 gauge. Will a 20 gauge forearm fit on a 16? I plan on taking measurements of a 16 gauge forearm and having him measure his to compare. Hopefully you guys have some info for me
  2. Ranger6

Ranger6 Administrator Staff Member Administrator Global Moderator Forum Moderator

Short answer.... no
    The sixteen forearm will fit a 20. Well it will go over the magazine tube, the 20 will not go over magazine tube and spring.
  3. win7stw

win7stw .30-06

Thanks Ranger. Do you have a 20 gauge? If so could you measure the diameter of mag tube for me?
  4. Ranger6

Ranger6 Administrator Staff Member Administrator Global Moderator Forum Moderator

Yes I have a light 20. .938
    1969 sweet sixteen. .945 hope this helps.
  5. win7stw

win7stw .30-06

Thank you so much. I’ll let you know what I figure out tomorrow
  6. win7stw

win7stw .30-06

Is there any reason you couldn't have a 20 gauge forearm drilled out so that it would fit on a 16?
  7. Ranger6

I’m sure it could be done, but will cost more then it’s worth. Both are available. You can have a stock and forearm custom made. Art has a very good wood guy that will duplicate anything. Browning used special tools to make these, not likely just anybody will have them.
  8. win7stw

win7stw .30-06

I have a horizontal boring machine at my disposal that I think it would be fairly easy to do if I knew for sure it would fit.
  9. Ranger6

The other thing about doing that is when you start cutting the inside out to make it bigger, you also loose material thickness. Sure would suck to spend money doing all that or time, and have it crack on the first shot.
  10. win7stw

win7stw .30-06

From your measurements 7 thousands isn't very much material to remove.
  11. Ranger6

probably only one way to find out. Do and see if it works. I have a 1909 16 gauge and it had the wrong forearm on it. It was a nightmare getting the correct one. It don’t match, but it will be getting new stock and forearm made by art eventually
  12. Ranger6

Did you look at length? Not sure if they are the same. I know my 16 is 10 1/2 inches long
  13. Ranger6

have you read my post on speed load conversions?
  14. win7stw

win7stw .30-06

I have not. Do you think it is worth it?
  15. Ranger6

Short answer.... no
    Now with that being said, I was told I could not make my 1936 with one piece lifter function correctly with a two piece lifter that provides speed load. Well it works flawlessly, but it cost a bunch of money and time. No one knew or wanted to help, lot of liability I guess. So if you venture down this road be prepared for several things. You will most likely be on your own. If it don’t work, you will have a 20 gauge forearm that is useless. Then you will end up having one made or buy one that don’t match, or wait until you find one. Remember once you change one thing it effects other things. Can get out of hand really quickly.