1 ounce Promo Skeet load

Discussion in 'Reloading' started by win7stw, Nov 21, 2021.

1. win7stw

win7stw .30-06

I’ve never used Promo before and I wanted a 1 ounce load. Oddly the Alliant site only has 7/8 and 1-1/8 loads listed. Everything I’ve read says to use Red Dot data. Promo is more dense so they said to go down two bushing sizes. So after looking at Red Dot data I settled on 18.5 grains.

I also have been sitting on some old Winchester Super Pigeon and AACF hulls. First time loading the CF’s as I normally use Remington hulls. The other thing about this load is I am subbing Cheddite primers for Win 209’s.

The Alliant says 19 grains of Red Dot with a win primer and a CB 1100-12 wad will yield 1250 fps and 8900 PSI. So I hope my primer substitution won’t cause any issues.

My load is:
    Win AACF hull
    Cheddite 209
    18.5 grains Promo
    CB 1100-12
    1 ounce of West Coast 9 shot

They loaded beautifully and the only thing I had to change on my loader was the primer seating post. I even got lucky and used the same bushing I use for E3.
    I might actually pattern this load.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
  2. Auzzie

Auzzie 20g

Now they are nice looking loads. You can load for me any day. Are they straight off the 375 or you using a different crimper?
  3. win7stw

win7stw .30-06

I have been using a Hornady 366 lately. I need to get a progressive PW
  4. Auzzie

Auzzie 20g

Yes PW make great stuff and the backup customer service is excellent. Give where I am situated geographically Just email them direct in Idaho with what bits and numbers and they send out to me here direct no problem.
    I picked up old 800B progressive in good nick not much work for a song so deciding if to modify it for the newer taper crimp dies or just buy one of those fancy gaep dies you guys have in the drill press and run over the finished ones.
    Regardless your loads look great and bet they will go ok too.
  5. win7stw

win7stw .30-06

I missed out on a 800B last month for dirt cheap. I am really growing fond of the 366 though. I did have one oops today and hat shot all over the bench though.

I could close up the crimp a little bit probably but the hole in the middle won’t let the 9 shot through so I’m going to leave it as is
  6. win7stw

win7stw .30-06

The nice thing about this load is it’s the same bushings I use for my sporting clays load that I use E3 in. The only change I have to make is the primer seater but if I order a spring loaded primer seater from Hornady I might not have to do that when switching from Win to Rem hulls. I don’t think you’d like E3 it’s really clean burning and supposedly doesn’t meter well. You better stick to Red Dot.
    Ranger6 likes this.