BLR Trigger

Discussion in 'Browning BLR Rifle' started by OlympicFox, Jun 28, 2013.

1. OlympicFox

OlympicFox .410

I just picked up my new BLR ShortTrac Stainless TD 308 on Tuesday and I'm itching to try it out. However, like most BLR's the trigger is pathetic - 6.3#. :cry:

I've heard that Neil Jones in PA is the go-to guy for BLR trigger work. Has anyone used him?

[​IMG]
  2. Billythekid

Billythekid Administrator Staff Member Administrator

Congrats on the new BLR!!! Looks awsome. Haven't heard or used the guy you mentioned. What are you trying to get the trigger down too?
  3. MZ5

MZ5 .270 WIN

Nice-looking rifle! I talked with Neil, but ended up doing my own trigger work on my BLR.
  4. OlympicFox

OlympicFox .410

I prefer right around 3# and most all of my guns are in the 2.8-3.5# range. The exceptions are my CCW guns (4 to 4.5#) and my revolvers & Sigs with DA/SA triggers (5-7+# for the DA pull).

The BLR is 6.29# out of the box -way too heavy for a rifle IMHO.
  5. OlympicFox

OlympicFox .410

From what I've read on the topic, lever actions are known for their lousy triggers, and uforntunately the BLRs are an exception. Also, there seems to be some history of owners as well as gunsmiths attempting to do a trigger job on a BLR and botching it. I'd rather pay Neil $120 and get a truly sweet trigger.

I also have a new Thompson Center Dimension that's in need of a trigger job, although at 4.34# it's not nearly as bad as the BLRs. The complication with the T/C is that it's a brand new model and nobody's done one yet, so I've got to ship the receiver and bolt to the gunsmith instead of just the trigger group.
  6. MZ5

MZ5 .270 WIN

There does, indeed. I've never found any trigger work on any firearm I've handled or had apart to be that difficult, IF one understands how it operates. This will allow one to understand the implications of making this or that adjustment. For my part, I found that my BLR simply needed a bunch of ancient 'gunk' cleaned off and some surfaces smoothed or polished a touch. This eliminated the truly horrendous grit and creep. Replacement of a particular spring which was damaged either by Browning/Miroku during original assembly or by some 'hack' later on reduced pull weight. I don't mind a bit heavier pull weight in a purely hunting gun so long as the trigger's operation is smooth. I don't try to 'cut' trigger parts under normal circumstances, and I speculate that this is where so many others (both owners and less-than-well-informed 'smiths' both) go wrong.
  7. OlympicFox

OlympicFox .410

While I understand how the gun works, I also understand that many guns are wrecked by owners & gunsmiths that didn't understand enough, even if only something about the particular gun in question. Last year I had the displeasure of one of my custom 1911's getting messed up by the original gunsmith that built the gun. :evil: Eventually, it was made right, but it was more than a little annoying.

If the project simply involved cleaning the gunk out of an old gun, that would be one thing. However, this is a brand new gun that's nice and clean and well lubed.

I shoot a lot and a lot of different guns. I prefer to have my triggers more alike than different. With the exception of the revolvers and Sigs with DA/SA actions, all of my guns have triggers in the 3-4# range with 4# being the exception. The more the triggers are alike, the less I have to spend mental energy thinking about that particular trigger. A 6# trigger in a safe full of guns with 3# triggers doesn't lend itself to shooting that gun very well. So, the BLR hit the road today and will hopefully come home in a few weeks with a much nicer trigger so I can concentrate more on the other aspects of the shot. It's a lovely gun and well worth the effort to improve its single weakness.

8. OlympicFox

OlympicFox .410

Absolutely. The trigger pull measures at 3.39# (average of 20 pulls on Lyman gauge) vs. the original 6.29#. After the initial take-up, there's very little creep, then a smooth break. Definitely worth the money.
  9. OlympicFox

OlympicFox .410

I thought I'd give an update to the trigger job on my BLR. More specifically, how well the gun shoots now - how about a sub-MOA lever gun? I mounted a Leupold Rifleman 4-12x40 scope on a set of low QR rings and took it to the range to zero the scope.

Here's my final target at 100 yards.

[​IMG]
  10. joester

joester .22LR

I agree fully that Neil Jones in Saegertown PA is a BLR trigger guru. He got mine down to a crisp 3.3 lbs. I will be shipping him a few more...
  11. OlympicFox

OlympicFox .410

If only I had a few more BLR's to ship him! :mrgreen:
  12. OlympicFox

OlympicFox .410

Yes I did. I sent it to Bill Springfield in Colorado. I called and talked to Bill and since he'd never done the Dimension before, he asked me to send him the barreled receiver instead just the trigger group. The bill was $79.

Like other T/C Dimensions that I've read reviews on, the "adjustable" trigger came from the factory set at the minimum pull, yet measured 4.34#. The pull is now 3.68#, not remarkably lighter, but much crisper.

The result is quite apparent on the range. Before the trigger job, I was able to shoot 1 MOA groups at 100 yards - as advertised. After the trigger job, I returned to the range with a buddy to zero our scopes for a hunt. When I fired the second shot, my buddy with the spotting scope asked me if I'd missed the target. I was certain I hadn't but he wouldn't believe me, so we took the walk downrange. Turned out it was a very nice double.

Bill Springfield
    http://www.triggerwork.net/index.html
    4135 Cricket Ct.
    Colorado Springs, Co 80918
    719-648-5725
  13. CaySea

CaySea .22LR

When you ship to Neil can you ship direct without the need for someone with an FFL? What is the average expected turnaround time?
  14. SHOOTER13

SHOOTER13 Guest

This thread is from January 2014 CaySea...

Suggest you call Neil Jones in Saegertown, PA direct to find out that info...

http://www.neiljones.com/

PHONE 814-763-2769 - EMAIL njones@mdvl.net
    [​IMG]
    17217 Brookhouser Road, Saegertown PA 16433
  15. CaySea

CaySea .22LR

I called and spoke with Neil yesterday, and shipped my rifle off to him today. Will let you know the results.
  16. CaySea

CaySea .22LR

I received my BLR back today and you can add me to the Neil Jones fan club. Great work and smoothed out the action overall. Trigger is a night/day improvement. Quick turnaround too. Will be at the range with it this weekend. :)