What type of stockpile does everyone have?

Discussion in 'Reloading' started by DoubleTap, Mar 26, 2011.

1. DoubleTap

DoubleTap Administrator Staff Member Administrator

Lets see how much ammo everyone has...
  2. DoubleTap

Its just a start but I have

175 rd Walmart birdshot 12ga
    50 rd Federal 00 Buck w/FlightControl 12ga
    250 rd 00 Buck 12ga
    250 rd Rifled Slugs 12ga
  3. DHonovich

DHonovich Founder Staff Member Administrator

Mine is lacking at the moment but I will post it up when I get to restock it to what it should be :twisted: .
  4. take'em

take'em Copper BB

I currently have 250 rounds of kents 3/1/2 BBB
    100 rds winchester 3in BB
    175 rds skeet load
    250 rounds of .223
    75 rds. .223WSSM
    40 rds. 30-06
    45 rds. .357 mag
    and around 150 rds. of misc. ammo
  5. DoubleTap

My latest addition to my stockpile.

1000 rds of .223 Brown Bear
    1000 rds of .223 XM193
    420 rds of .223 XM855
    250 rds of 12ga Centurion slugs

[​IMG]

The other two cases (500rds) of 12ga Centurion slugs are DHonovich's.
  6. SHOOTER13

SHOOTER13 Guest

If I told you, the ATF would be knockin' on my door...!! :cool:
    Rob poston likes this.
  7. OlympicFox

OlympicFox .410

Most of my stash is pistol, but I've got a few shotgun & rifle rounds laying around, too. Life is too short to inventory it. :mrgreen:

The top two shelves are factory handgun, the 3rd shelf is factory rifle, 4th is powder & primers, 5th is reloaded handgun. Shotgun ammo lives in another part of the room. This is an old photo that shows the Dillon 650XL mounted on the primary bench; it's been moved to a second bench just to the left of the treadmill.
    [​IMG]

Bullets and cased factory ammo survives the rigors of garage weather.
    [​IMG]
  8. Dallas_CMT

Dallas_CMT .270 WIN

Old thread here.. but these days, I don't think you can have too much ammo. 500 rounds of target loads can be a few days worth, or a few years - depending on how much you shoot.

20 boxes should last me about 1 year. I wish I could shoot more. If I can get back into dove hunting it may go a lot faster!
  9. Rudolph31

Rudolph31 .30-06

Probably 30 cases of 12, 16, and 20 gauge. When its on sale, I grab it.
  10. Dallas_CMT

Dallas_CMT .270 WIN

Cases? Awesome.

You mainly shoot targets or birds?
  11. OlympicFox

OlympicFox .410

I think the answer depends on not just how much ammunition you use under "normal" circumstances, but also on:

(a) How many days/weeks/months supply you consider adequate,

This is essentially the same thing as the business concept of inventory flow. Traditionally, business carried X days inventory to support sales between routine product orders. "Just in time" changed that so businesses order product as it sells. Can save a lot of money, however, it is dependent on reasonably normal demand and a well functioning supply chain.

When, I first started shooting, I often bought ammo the day before I needed it. As I began shooting more, my demand for ammo increased, so I began stocking ammo . . . enough for a few days of shooting (roughly a month). As I continued to shoot more, I made a conscious decision to stock a 3-month supply of ammo. It wasn't long before that minimum inventory became a 6-month supply. General awareness of the political climate led to upgrading to a 2-year supply.

(b) How you adjust for "abnormal" circumstances affecting ammo supplies,

Fortunately, I made my decision to maintain a 2-year supply a couple of years ago, so this years ammo shortages affected the time and convenience of maintaining my supply, but not my ability to shoot as much as I wanted. In fact, I frequently supply ammo to friends.

(c) How much you stockpile for a SHTF scenario.

While one of the early responses to this thread had some 223/5.56 on hand, most of the responses have been focused on shotshells for hunting/sport. Doesn't seem like there's much interest (or perception of need?) for SHTF defensive ammo on this forum. The thinking in our household is that our system is on an unsustainable trajectory - it's only a matter of time before the SHTF. As a result, some of our inventory is targeted for defensive purposes.

My experience with the most recent ammo shortage is that shotgun ammo was relatively available throughout the last year, while pistol and rifle ammo became scarce in general and nearly impossible to find in many calibers. While it appears that supply is beginning to catch up to demand, some calibers as well as some reloading products are still quite scarce. So, if your needs are sport shotgun-centric, then there appears little reason to stockpile. OTOH, if your needs are defensive pistol/rifle-centric, then there's good reason to build and maintain a considerable stockpile of ammo. Unfortunately, pistol and rifle ammo is much more expensive than shotshells, so it can be quite expensive to build up inventory.
  12. Rudolph31

Rudolph31 .30-06

Targets, usually skeet. Hunted as a kid. Not much shooting but a whole lot of freezing...
  13. Dallas_CMT

Dallas_CMT .270 WIN

I'm getting back into it myself. Hunted birds a bit when younger, now I'm in my 50's and getting back into skeet. I've been shooting a 1959 TwentyWeight Double Auto, but just bought a new Maxus Sporting for the clays. Can't wait for delivery.

The place I go also has trap, 5-stand, and sporting clays, as well as a pistol and rifle range. Lotsa ways to have fun.
  14. Dallas_CMT

Dallas_CMT .270 WIN

Good info, and you're dead on.

I tend to keep much less SD pistol ammo because I feel that if a couple boxes of Hornady Critical Duty can't get me out of the jam I'm in, it's far worse than a pistol can solve. I don't have an AR.

I don't have a ton of ammo. Let's just say I have a ton more ammo than I did a year ago. :)
  15. Rudolph31

Rudolph31 .30-06

Browning Double Autos are cool! I have a B2000 that loads the same way, only I can stuff 5 shells in it. I seem to shoot it better than my other guns, but I retired it after shooting a 25. I collect Auto-5s, haven't run the field with one yet...

MERRY CHRISTMAS!
  16. OlympicFox

OlympicFox .410

I agree that a couple of boxes of defensive pistol ammo should get you through any conventional self/home defense scenario. Unfortunately, the aftermath could leave you without your gun(s) and possibly even your ammo, etc. It's no secret that some jurisdictions are prone to malicious prosecution, which could strip you of your rights to possess a gun until you're acquitted. Even if not charged (or acquitted), those jurisdictions are likely to keep your guns for months or years. Knowing how the system works and planning can alleviate some of the effects of the aftermath of a shooting. Maybe.

The alternative to a conventional self/home defense scenario is an unconventional scenario. Duh! Such as during a societal meltdown ala Katrina or worse. If you subscribe to the idea that this is a realistic scenario, then it follows that a larger arsenal and stockpile of ammo is in order. OTOH, if you don't believe this type of scenario is possible, then you need to concern yourself about it. Of course, there are shades of gray between those extremes which is where we tend to fall.

As for owning an AR . . .

AR's are outstanding home defense tools, among the very best because they are compact, easy to use, have very little recoil so anyone can shoot one, are very effective against people yet have a very low risk of over penetration. The only real problems with an AR is they can be expensive and some of the public has bought into the claim that they are useless except for evil purposes. The truth is that they're a ton of fun to shoot, whether it be traditional bullseye, contemporary 3-gun or just plinking.

The good news is that there are other alternatives - lots of alternatives. While both my wife & I have AR's, there are other tools that are quite capable of defending the home, even from multiple attackers, which is reputed to be an increasingly common scenario.

While I prefer a semi-auto such as an AR or Ruger Mini-14 for defense, traveling with AR's etc is problematic especially in the eastern US, so we prefer the lever actions such as the Marlin 1894 in 357Mag when we're on the road.
  17. OlympicFox

OlympicFox .410

I've come close to buying an older A5 several times, but my pragmatic nature seems to prevail and I wind up buying a modern gun instead. For example, I was I just ordered a Mossberg 930 JM - a Jerry Miculek version of the Mossberg 930 semi-auto designed for 3-Gun competition.
  18. Rudolph31

Rudolph31 .30-06

I think the Auto-5 will outlast every other semi automatic shotgun. There's a reason they were in production for 95 years. If they built them today they'd cost thousands, but you can pick up a pristine example for less than a grand. The 16 gauge feels especially lively--I wouldn't shoot anything else but picking up hulls is difficult when your group shoots at night. We shoot at 6pm year round. And when you shoot a 16, reloading becomes necessary.
  19. OlympicFox

OlympicFox .410

No doubt. While I haven't made a concerted effort to search for a nice A5, I've seen several on the racks at Cabela's. More like well worn honest shooters in the $400 pristine examples worthy of being a safe queen. Just found a very nice 'Sweet Sixteen' on GunBroker. FWIW, I found my 1957 vintage Superposed Lightning on their racks. Probably 80-90% - nice enough to be a looker, not so nice I'm reluctant to shoot it.
  20. Dallas_CMT

Dallas_CMT .270 WIN

My sister in law told me yesterday she has an older 16ga A5. I need to check that thing out!