Speed load on light 20 auto-5

Discussion in 'Firearm Maintenance, Modification, Safety And Trou' started by Carbine.killer, Apr 28, 2023.

1. Just realized i forgot to include that the last shot i made with it the barrel/bolt recoiled all the way back and did not return. Had to take the forearm off and tap the charging handle to get it broke loose so i laid the gun in the truck bed inside of a guncase to prevent a fly away. Any ideas on what wouldve caused that? When that happened i gave up n started using another gun
  2. Decided to make a final post since all the problems have been resolved!
    Shell stop was the culprit. Just in case anybody else has a similar symptoms i noticed the hole the rollpin goes through on the shell stop was oblong on the bottom (as installed in the gun). It was enough that even my old eyes could were able to see it. Another MWG order later and the gun is good to go! Anybody ever heard of this? Figure this gun must’ve been through an awful lot of loading cycles to get “wallered” - any thoughts / ideas on it?
  3. Rudolph31

Rudolph31 .30-06

The Auto-5 has 3 parts that act as shell stops. One is called the Cartridge Stop, and the others are the Locking Block Latch and the Carrier Latch.

I suspect you mean the Carrier Latch. They seem to be responsible for 90% of the problems with these guns.

[​IMG]
    Ranger6 likes this.
  4. Rudolph31

Rudolph31 .30-06

A word about those roll pins. Pre-1958 those parts were installed with screws which went into blind holes. A rusty screw was just about impossible to get out.

Beginning in ‘58 they changed to roll pins, and the holes were drilled all the way through. That made it easy to remove a stuck pin. But the roll pins have a habit of not lining up with the holes in the part, and the parts, which I suspect were now also flimsy, would get damaged. You’ve got to be very careful. In fact, MGW sells tools for installing roll pins, which I think are worth the money if you find yourself working on these late model guns.

https://www.midwestgunworks.com/page/mgwi/prod/RS-7
  5. Ranger6

Ranger6 Administrator Staff Member Administrator Global Moderator Forum Moderator

Good point. I like the screws better, because of the reasons stated above, but if they are rusted, it can be a chore to get out.
    Rudolph31 likes this.
  6. Good info - thanks!!! Not sure what the parts called then but its on the left side and part of its visible (shows thru receiver) - always wondered what that was …. Took it for test run this afternoon with no hiccup so we see how long it last. Usually shoot with some younger boys that i work with in shop - they usually give me lots of abuse but today the ol man shut em up haha!
    Rudolph31 likes this.
  7. Oh sorry ranger - dont think you gone need to test it for me this go round
  8. Ranger6

Ranger6 Administrator Staff Member Administrator Global Moderator Forum Moderator

Darn it, can’t blame a guy for trying.
  9. Rudolph31

Rudolph31 .30-06

That’s the Cartridge Stop, so you had it right. It stops the next shell from feeding until the barrel is back in battery.

[​IMG]